Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I replaced all me steering linkage with the T style hd setup. Took virtually all play out of the steering although it is still a little loose. I want to replace the steering gear. I can get a reman from napa for 155 plus core, and a redhead for 300+. This truck is not a dd anymore, just a farm, work, round town truck. Is it worth the extra for a red head?

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Well I replaced all me steering linkage with the T style hd setup. Took virtually all play out of the steering although it is still a little loose. I want to replace the steering gear. I can get a reman from napa for 155 plus core, and a redhead for 300+. This truck is not a dd anymore, just a farm, work, round town truck. Is it worth the extra for a red head?
I'd save my money and get a bourgson box...
Those are just remans... still the same crappy boc

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'd save my money and get a bourgson box...
Those are just remans... still the same crappy boc
Pretty sure redhead boxes are machined to fit a bearing on the vector shaft, eliminating the slop of a stock box. So not exactly "still the same crappy box"

He even said its not even a DD anymore, why would he need a borg box?

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Pretty sure redhead boxes are machined to fit a bearing on the vector shaft, eliminating the slop of a stock box. So not exactly "still the same crappy box"

He even said its not even a DD anymore, why would he need a borg box?

If its only little loose why use any box just keep it the way it is :confused013:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cuz it's my snowplow and farm towing rig, rather not take a chance with it.

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Cuz it's my snowplow and farm towing rig, rather not take a chance with it.
I doubt it will fail... they will always be sloppy but it could be unnerving while towing...

Borgson is a really expensive but really good fix.... Like anything you get what you pay for...

If you have the money, go for it.

But its not a daily driver so it wont be too bad with a napa box.
up to you

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Should the lines and pump be replaced since it'll be a new steering gear?

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Have you tried to adjust the box so it is tight again? The bolt that sticks out of the top with a nut on it is the adjustment. Loosen the lock but, tighten the stud down a bit then tighten the lock nut. It may take a few times but normally will remove the slop. The time to throw out the old box is when the stud is even with or below the nut.

Do not overtighten, To tight and you can bind up your steering. Adjust in small increments.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't know that was possible.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would not recommend a NAPA or other parts store reman, they usually just replace the seals, adjust the preload, and repaint it. The hard parts that wear aren't changed. They will feel tight for only a few months and be just as loose as what you changed out. Redhead makes a good replacement with upgraded internals ~$330, Borgeson is even better and beefier ~$410

Here is the TSB for gearbox adjustment, i would do it on the bench makes it a whole lot easier.

TSB 19-10-97

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input, once I'm back on my feet I'm going to try the TSB otherwise a redhead gear box is in it's future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.