Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Steering Gear Box Leaking.. Need Advice!

1755 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jsetrum
My steering gear box is leaking oil at about 1qt /min. I wonder if it's common problem when you roll 37" tires. if i need to replace whole gear box or maybe o-ring or something..:help1::newb:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Where is the fluid coming from. If it's a line it's an easy fix. If it's from the shaft right above your pitman arm your box is toast. New box and a steering brace. The Brace is supposed to keep this from happening and tighten up your steering as well.

· Registered
275 Posts
I replaced my steering box about 6 months ago. I had my box rebuilt by PSC and also installed their steering brace at the same time.

Truck drives better then it ever did.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the fluid coming from. If it's a line it's an easy fix. If it's from the shaft right above your pitman arm your box is toast. New box and a steering brace. The Brace is supposed to keep this from happening and tighten up your steering as well.
yeah...it's comming from the shaft... I just called aroung it about $135 to $210 for rebuilded one... so i guess it's not to bad... do I have to replace the brace? ...it looks new..:banghead:

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced my steering box about 6 months ago. I had my box rebuilt by PSC and also installed their steering brace at the same time.

Truck drives better then it ever did.
do you know if you have to bleed the system after you done installing box? ...if you do where is the valve?:confused013:

· Registered
275 Posts
do you know if you have to bleed the system after you done installing box? ...if you do where is the valve?:confused013:
Yeah you do, but no valve.

If I remember right you just keep the reservoir topped off while turning the wheel from left to right.

Be careful, you need to get all the air out or your brakes won't work right either. The power steering provides your power brakes.

Reactions: damabo

· Registered
361 Posts
The brace I'm refering to is a bar going across the front that bolts to both frame rails at the stabilizer bar mounts and has a bearing and pillow block that attaches to the end of the steering shaft via a special pitman arm nut with a 1" shaft machined on the end of it. You don't have one of these do you? It is suppose to prevent this from happening.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The brace I'm refering to is a bar going across the front that bolts to both frame rails at the stabilizer bar mounts and has a bearing and pillow block that attaches to the end of the steering shaft via a special pitman arm nut with a 1" shaft machined on the end of it. You don't have one of these do you? It is suppose to prevent this from happening.
yap... i got one ...(BD Diesel)... previos owner installed it...so it's improving "wondering" around road ?

· Registered
361 Posts
It's supposed to. I wonder if the box was bad and the previous owner tried to "Bandaid" it with a steering brace. At any rate you are going to have to rebuild/replace it.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It's supposed to. I wonder if the box was bad and the previous owner tried to "Bandaid" it with a steering brace. At any rate you are going to have to rebuild/replace it.
allready replaced it with one with lifetime warranty from Shucks ($133) ... but steering pump still making noise...you think it's because i haven't bleed the system?...

And you r right about previous owner...

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey I was looking at your signature and i see on 2007 u got 4.10's and 2006 u have 3.73's.. How's milage compares betwen them two?? tnx.

· Registered
609 Posts
I had this problem, not that bad of a leak. I had it replaced under warranty. I have the same year truck with the same size tire. My truck steers like a honda now, kind of weird. When they replaced it after like a few weeks I got a leak again. I crawled up under the car when stopped to find it. It was the return metal line coming out of the gear box rubbing on the steering shaft collar. The collar has a bolt going through it and every time I turned the bolt would hit the metal line and it caused a hole. They fixed this, they had the wrong lines on it, now there is plenty of space between the collar and lines. Hope this helps...

· Registered
361 Posts
Iv'e only had one instace of air in the lines when I did the motor on my previous truck. (98 6.5 GMC). It wine for a day or two after. Just keep an eye on your fluid level.
The 06 Gets about 18 MPG and the 07 gets 16 MPG. I'm going to have to double check that I do have the 4.10's because I'm reading that the G56 (my 07 has this tranny) is a bit lower geared. What I can tell you is that at 70 mph the auto 06 is running at 1900 and the manual 07 is running at 2300. I made an assumption based on the rpm difference alone; turns out you might only be getting the mileage differance between an auto and standard and nothing more. I'll double check and post my results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.