Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was under my truck and was having my wife slowly turn the wheels to the sides. When she turned it all the way to the left power steering fluid just started dripping fast out of where the splines go up into the box. What does this mean? It's only when turned left. This box was put in by dealership probably a little over a year ago. I don't think I ever noticed any fluid leaking. Anyhow it's past any sort of warranty. Need your help. This is probably why my steering feels like I am just gliding around. I'm going to check fluid level once truck cools down here shortly.

Side note...
I have a steering pitman arm recall from fabtec. How hard is this work to do yourself? I don't have a pitman arm puller...

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
The box is getting leverage on it by the pitman arm and is shoving the sector shaft over so far that it is leaking by the seals a bit. The #1 thing that you need to do to make your steering box last (#1 dangit!!!!!) is to install a steering box brace like the one in Ebay for $125 or so. It will make all the difference in the world!!! When you put the brace on, the leak will probably go away.

03 08 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 STEERING GEAR BOX STABILIZER | eBay

As for the pitman arm, you will need a puller and a bigass socket/cheater bar too. the puller can be borrowed/rented for free from Autozone. Might want to spray the shaft are on top and bottom of pitman arm with some PB blaster a day or so in advance.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have that brace and it is on. It came on my truck when I bought it. Now what to do to fix the leverage problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Ok...here we go...The RIGHT way to take the load off of your steering box is buy adding a hydraulic assist ram to your front end. This basically uses a hydraulic cylinder to do the work and your steering box is just kind of "along for the ride" in case you busted a hose, etc.

Here are some links and pics:

DODGE - Hydraulic Steering Kits - AGR Performance - SummitRacing.com

Pics of Hydro Assist on 2nd Gen Ram 2500 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

http://www.djgaston.com/images/thuren10.jpg

Pics of Hydro Assist on 2nd Gen Ram 2500 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Look up "hydraulic assist"

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap. That sounds expensive. I will check your links. I appreciate you help. Thanks

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Or you just run what you have and who cares if it leaks a drop or two every now and then? If your current system becomes a problem, then you do the hydraulic assist route. No hurry.

If you are in the woods and beating on it, then hydro is the only way to go.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Holy crap. That sounds expensive. I will check your links. I appreciate you help. Thanks
you have a bad gear box selector seal, I would replace the gear box. You dont need a hydraulic assist ram judging by the fact your sig states you have 35inch tires.

I had a psc box/ram with the thuren steering on my 01 2500, I ran 36inch swampers and the truck was wheeled heavliy. It made the truck steer like a sports car, but on the street you could feal the ram trying to play catch up with the rest of the steering, as I ran a 1.5 ram and it was "slow" but provided alot of power. Having owned many lifted trucks and offroad vehicles I would never run a ram assist on any street truck unless I was running 38inch plus/ wide tires or had a ton of extra cash to blow.

Get a redhead steering box, install it, adjust the brace properly and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
So I was under my truck and was having my wife slowly turn the wheels to the sides. When she turned it all the way to the left power steering fluid just started dripping fast out of where the splines go up into the box. What does this mean? It's only when turned left. This box was put in by dealership probably a little over a year ago. I don't think I ever noticed any fluid leaking. Anyhow it's past any sort of warranty. Need your help. This is probably why my steering feels like I am just gliding around. I'm going to check fluid level once truck cools down here shortly.

Side note...
I have a steering pitman arm recall from fabtec. How hard is this work to do yourself? I don't have a pitman arm puller...
you want to fix the leak as you could potentially run out of fluid over time if not properly checked and you are sucking air into the system. not fixing this will cause more problems down the road, plus you have gear box issues now. go to autozone or harbor freight and get a cheap pitman arm puller, easy to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts