Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my steering box and steering post in my 99 Ram 2500. I have heard about a steering brace and wanted to get some feedback if that is a worthwhile add on and how involved is the install and what brands are good to get? Is there any other upgrades to make the steering better?

·
Registered
95 Posts
My understanding of the steering brace is that it does help stiffen things up, but doesn't really improve steering. Speaking from just reading, as I do not have one.

If you replaced the box, look at the steering shaft above it. But chances are any remaining play is coming from any combination of track bar, tie rods, ball joints going bad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced both the box and steering shaft. My old steering shaft was crusty and did not push in anymore so I did replace both components. It was not exactly fun either!

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Just did a rebuild the end of Sept.
Spoke with PDP a couple of weeks ago and they recommended adding the brace.
(PDP answered the phone)
They recommended the shaft, track bar, damper, and adding the brace.
I knew my track bar and damper were good; I chose to replace the gear.

Truck went from more than a foot of play to nice and responsive.
Difference is so dramatic I was afraid I'd forget and roll it...

·
Vendor
1,158 Posts
Steering box braces are worth doing on the open C channel 2nd gen frames as they help with additional stiffness and support for the steering box. We typically use these Synergy box braces on all the 2nd gens we build.

As for other steering parts, our go to is to use EMF ball joints, and then do Synergy steering linkage. The final piece of the puzzle Ould be the track bar. DT Pro Fab is usually what we use for stock to leveled height trucks, but we’re also working on an even better setup that we’ll be building in house. Having a quality track bar is a huge help on these trucks, and dramatically reduces the typical 2nd gen wander.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
My 99 is just fine without one for 3/4 milliion miles so long as you keep all good tight parts on steering and suspension all the time.

Reactions: GRUNT 11B

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
If you have an issue, a steering box brace won't fix the issue. It can only mask it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts