Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My third box just failed so time for the 09 upgrade.
A couple questions.
Is a 09 NAPA steering box the same as the UPGRADE box?

What tie rod would I need to use with old steering drag link and pitman arm (04.5) will the original fit or will a new drag link end for an 09 fit?

Some people buy the new pump.
Does the new pump fit exactly the same with the same belt?
I have dual cp3's and a very long belt.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The STEERING BOX upgrade shouldn't be confused like I did. CJC says that upgraded box is specifically made for our trucks and is not a newer truck box at all like I thought it might be.
Ordered this one from CJC Offroad. MOP68170214AA
They say it will work with the original factory tie rods or drag link using the short (tie rod end) in the kit.

You do need the sector shaft nut extension if you have an aftermarket steering support brace on the bottom.

You also need a new bigger drop pitman if you have and need a drop pitman.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nice to know thanks :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That kit comes with a tie rod end that connect to the drag link and the pitman arm.

It ONLY works with the old style original steering assembly.

IF you have upgraded the steering "BARS" tie rods, to the 08.5 steering you need to buy an additional tie rod. The one in the kit is designed for the old original drag link.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Looks like your being fed bad information. check out steve white motors, a mopar dealer in I think tennesse. He sold me the whole mopar kit consisting of the new 2013 steering box with huge sector shaft, along with the 08.5 steering linkage with several new pitman arms to enable fitment of all model year combinations along with new steering damper for the 08.5 linkage, he was selling the entire kit for 860 dollars with a 75 dollar core charge until he received your old box. the old power steering pump works just fine with new box, no need for new one.reset your toe-in when your done.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So do you mind pointing out this "BAD INFORMATION" more directly. Which part.

The 08.5 steering linkage is a kit from Mopar. This kit has all the linkage to work with an 03-06 for sure. Probably up to 08 I didn't pay attention to that.

The oversized box kit is a box that comes from mopar for the same truck in stock form.

The pitman arm tie rod that comes in the steering box kit works great with OEM original steering linkage and is designed for that it will NOT work with the 08.5 steering linkage upgrade kit.
They specifically specify the part number in the manual for the pitman arm you need to use if you have that linkage upgrade.

If you have and need a drop pitman because of a lift kit you will now need a drop pitman that will work with the oversized sector shaft that is going to come with the new steering box kit.

Another note IF you have a track bar drop you need all the "drops" to keep things from contacting while driving. I believe that is only drop pitman, bump stop drops, and the drop pitman. This will keep all the angles close to factory design limits preventing contact with the track bar.

If you have an extended adjustable track bar that is not the case but you may still need a drop pitman to prevent bump steer.

I have a lift that claims to be a 3 1/2 inch lift. The new steering box and pitman arm are slightly different. The tie rod goes in to the pitman from the top. This makes the drag link angle steeper.
In my case (I had a drop pitman before) and now I'm ordering a drop pitman to use with the new steering box to alleviate my new found bump steer that I never had before the box change.

It sounds to me that you bought both kits plus exactly 1 item. The pitman arm tie rod to work with the new bigger box?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The bad info is all the extra crap their selling ya. The factory mopar kit that steve white motors dells requires nothing but the purchase of one single kit. It comes with all parts to fit any 03-08.5 model year truck. you will end up with extra pitman arms and tie rod ends as the kit comes with several to cover all possibilities. The only mod you have to do is some material removal on your radiator fan shroud to get the new larger 2013 steering box to fit.However if you've messed your truck up with a lift then of course your in for problems as you've ruined the engineering that went into design limits and will always have extra issues to deal with,

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, Your right I wouldn't want to mess with Chryslers front end design.

The only bad information is some chick actually thinking our front ends and steering are designed well but she herself bought just short of a grand in parts to rectify her trucks design.

She bought two kits from Steve white which seems to be fair priced on their website but think sit's one kit. OEM Mopar doesn't have one kit as outlined above.

I've always tried to avoid some women once a month because they just whine.

Reactions: Kosticha
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.