Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is oversteering alot, its not really wandering or anything but I've gotta correct everytime I turn the wheel. Will a steering box stabilizer help out at all?

·
Registered
93 Posts
start out by checking wear on everything in the steering system ball joints, steering box, tie rods and drag link etc. the steering box stabilizer would be the last thing to do after you got your front end in line.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ditto 99ctd.

Mine acted the same way. Shop told me it was called "memory" steer. It just would never go back to center and stayed where I pointed it. I did the stabilizer, 3rd gen track bar stuff first and all it did was tighten things up some...less wandering, but the ball joints were the real problem. Had those replaced with Moog's and now you could say it actually steers. Check the ball joints first. If your budget is like mine, you will want that trackbar/stabilizer money to pay for your ball joints.

·
Registered
93 Posts
start out by checking wear on everything in the steering system ball joints, steering box, tie rods and drag link etc. the steering box stabilizer would be the last thing to do after you got your front end in line.
ya ball joints are pretty common for going out early and causing some bad steering and bad tire wear. put a BD steering box brace on and it made a difference for sure!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do I check these front end pieces?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
start with wheels on the ground, have someone work the steering back and forth(engine running) look for slop in all tie rods and pay special attention to the track bar ball/socket end.
next jack up the truck by the axel, and push/pull on the top of the wheel, any play can indicate bad BJ or wheel bearing.
Next use a pry bar unbetween the lower ball joint and the axel U-joint, pry up. any more play than 50thou means the Ball Joint out of spec and will require replacing, you can have a BJ thats out of spec but have no lateral play.

If you cant check these things, or your not sure of your findings I'd suggest taking it to a shop, alot of reputable shops offer free front end inspections. if someone qualifed looks it over for you, you'd have a better idea of what is actually shot.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
another note.. if your always over correcting because the steering wont return to center (meaning you make a turn and let go of the wheel it should come back on its own), it is possible that someone tried adjusting the steering box incorrectly. by cranking down on the overcenter adjustment, and now the gears are meshed too tight.

heres a good link to read up on

Ram Steering Problems

this adjustment can be done on the truck, without removing the pitman arm,

Ram Steering Gear Adjustments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.