Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my steering box is leaking at a pretty good rate, and i was wondering if anyone found a good replacement for a resonable price?

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
If its like most of the boxes it is leaking from the where the steering shaft goes into the box. The going rate for a rebuilt steering box is around $180 or so. A new steering box from
Dodge is around $275. Dodge does have them in stock. I have seen people have problems with some of the rebuilts. A friend of mine is having problems with one he has on his truck.

You could reseal your box. The seal kit from Dodge is J8130157 this is for the steering shaft end. 0433997 is for the sector shaft end.

While your there throw kit #1-04443436AC in. This is a rebuild kit for the wobble connector on the steering column connector shaft.

Look your steering box mounting plate over real good. If it is cracked I have the number for that also.

I just resealed my steering box over the past weekend.

You do not have to remove the steering box if your only going to do the input shaft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never had any luck resealing saginaw boxes,so I just got a reman from NAPA.$275 CND + $200 core charge,so I got it back in a hurry!The only issue so far was the return line,it was rusted and twisted off.The only sources around here were Mopar at $42 one day away or Canadian Tire at $27 a couple of days away,I'll post the part # and manufacturer when I get it,it seems that most parts chains can't source the o-ring type tube that this pump takes.So if you are going to go this route,make sure you have the hoses or be prepared to have the truck sit for a couple of days.

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
If you would go with the Dodge hoses watch the return hose. They have some in the warehouses that have the wrong fitting on the end. It has the high pressure fitting on the return tube. The high pressure fitting is .040" bigger in OD across the threads. I found that out last week also.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have never had any luck resealing saginaw boxes,so I just got a reman from NAPA.$275 CND + $200 core charge,so I got it back in a hurry!The only issue so far was the return line,it was rusted and twisted off.The only sources around here were Mopar at $42 one day away or Canadian Tire at $27 a couple of days away,I'll post the part # and manufacturer when I get it,it seems that most parts chains can't source the o-ring type tube that this pump takes.So if you are going to go this route,make sure you have the hoses or be prepared to have the truck sit for a couple of days.
I've actually never had one come back with a leak. If replacing the sector seal, always check the bushing as well. I always make sure all shaft seal surfaces are polished and everything is properly adjusted and as I said, I've never failed to stop a leak in a box.
Steve g.

·
Registered
98 Posts
my steering box is leaking at a pretty good rate, and i was wondering if anyone found a good replacement for a resonable price?
Try some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak first. Evacuate the reservoir with a turkey baster. You can probably pull about 4 ounces of PS fluid out. Replace what you removed with the Lucas PSSL, then replenish as the level drops with more Lucas. If the leak is bad it may take two bottles to fix it.

The other stop leaks don't work, only the Lucas brand.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just put a seal kit from carquest in my steering box. Mine hasn't leaked a drop since. I also rebuilt the knuckle( a previous owner did it and put the little wear shoes in sideways and backwards!) It steers very much better now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts