Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
New England Chapter VP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw it on Ebay ages ago, then i saw a writeup in one of the Primedia magazines in the book store one day and now I'm wishing i bought that issue...

It was a large piece of steel, maybe 2x2, that bolted up to the sway-bar mounting holes and ran in between them. Then the nut on the pitman arm was replaced with a nut that had a 1 inch diameter and maybe 1.5 inch long "nub" machined out of the end. On the large piece of metal that bolted to the sway bar holes, it had mounting for a carrier bearing that you fit onto the "nub" on the pitman arm nut, therefor eliminating the shaft play that we all get...

Other then that lower bearing my steering box is fine, and id much rather pay for a fix, rather than another steering box thats just gonna sh!t out on me in a another 25k miles. A 7200 lb truck, 285's, almost always with a few thousand lbs in the bed driving around dirt fire roads, construction sites, dunes for when i got playing with the toys and everything else i do, i can't see another steering box lasting any longer then the other. If any of you rememeber the name of this product, or have a link to a place where i can buy it, it would be GREATLY appreciated!:peelout

·
Registered
541 Posts
Search for DSS. I believe its called Darins Steering Stabilizer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Subscribed!

I've gone thru two steering boxes in my Dodge trucks and I'm staring at a third!

·
Registered
365 Posts
SBS get it at BD-power.com or xtremediesel.com

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've got a DSS on order.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put the PSC Motorsports version on my truck. I like it!

LJ

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
The moment on the steering box shaft is large because the internal bearings are too close together. Normally three bearings on a shaft is a problem waiting to happen (Two points define a line so two bearings are by definition collinear. Three points may not be on a line so the bearings could side load one another.) Pay careful attention to centering the added bearing. This was easy on my 96 since the bottom bearing has some play in it (but the seal is not leaking). The DSS also reduces frame flex at the steering box mounting points. I put a DSS on my 98.5 as a preventive measure but paid very close attention to alignment of the added bearing since that steering box shaft has no discernable end float.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The box is nearly bulletproof and fully adjustable for wear. I built my own steering to eliminate play, and it helped but not much. I just got one of those braces (stabilizer) and put it on today. It is a MUST HAVE! I WILL REPEAT MUST HAVE!!!! It takes about 2/3 of the steering slop out. It is compatible with the AGR, too. I have one on mine.

Significantly more precise steering. This is because the "engineers" at Dodge didn't know how to mount the box properly. The tubes welded into the frame for the box bolts flex the flat steel in the frame allowing slop no matter WHAT else you do. I am still tapping the box soon, but I paused briefly after putting this thing on. If I was planning on keeping 35's I would leave it off, but I am going 37's on the next tire change.

I got mine from Geno's Garage. Dodge Cummins and Ford Power Stroke Diesel Truck Accessories - Geno's Garage Nice folks. I could have built my own, but am happy I bought it. Nice piece of fabrication, good price for what it is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
go back to mallcrawlin!!!!!!!

diesel performance.com has em!!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
go back to mallcrawlin!!!!!!!

diesel performance.com has em!!!
Ha ha. VEEERY funny. Not that I don't have a little disdain myself for mall crawlers, but the nearest mall is over 100 miles from me. I am gonna guess I am misunderstanding that comment 'cause only a moron would think my piece of junk is a "mall crawler".

PS that AGR box I referred to fell completely apart since that post, and it was brand new. Incorrect application "shell" bearings instead of the proper part; roller bearings. I'm guessing to save a few sheckles. Plus the inadequate sector shaft seal retainer popped out and left me sailing down the highway with no brakes/steering. At least I wasn't towing. JUNK.

·
Registered
233 Posts
search for ebay seller named offroadpartsman he has them. and they are priced right
I second that one. While your at it. Cardone, napa, carquest, advanced, checkered, shucks, cragen, Use the following part number for your next box. 27-7604. It is a three turn box. Most likely you have a 4 turn box. This combined with the stabalizer bar and WOW a new truck. BTW offroadpartsman is selling the bracket for 140. PSC and others sell it for 220. Guess what when it showed up to my house in a PSC box straight from their shop. Definatly worth the money. sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got my PSC kit. Installing it turkey day. I WILL make sure it's aligned as nuts on as I can get it. I am looking forward to not having to herd the truck down the road anymore. Nice tip on the three turn box Big Rich. Might just do that too because it's a good idea.

This is the one thing I have disliked about my Dodge since I got it, it steers like a clapped out dump truck.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Some folks pooh pooh it, but after the difference it made on my truck, I have my doubts as to the merit of their claims. I was astounded at how much more precise... or at least less sloppy my steering was. I think you're gonna be stoked! :)

Oh, and it pretty much lines itself up. Just put it together and tighten everything down. The little setscrew on the pillow block bearing will put a little ding on the nipple on the nut so if you take it off, it will resist a little bit going on and off. Super easy install, but someone to hold it in place while you get the first bolt in the swaybar bracket helps a LOT. I had to do the amateur contortionist and use my knee to hold it to get the first bolt in. :p

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
got mine from sourceautomotive and its great!!!! :woot:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Installed the kit I got from PSC. Everything fits perfect, nice shiny powdercoated bar, it's cleanest thing under there for now!:roof:
Did it make a difference? Simply, YES! Much, much better. I have a new tie rod and draglink on the way too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Put in new tierod and draglink last night, previously installed PSC steering brace. The PSC brace helped a lot, but with the draglink and tierod too I think the steering feels better than it did when the truck was brand new. I was as careful as I could be not to change the toe when I replaced the tierod, kept adjusting it until it just dropped in but I am going to get the alignment checked this week anyway.
Engine off and moving the steering wheel I went from about 3 or 4 inches play in each direction to maybe an inch and a half. When driving, the steering feels "lighter" and much more connected. The trackbar appears to be OK but gonna check it again.
No more herding the damn thing down the road, almost feels sporty (well, for a 7400 pound solid axle truck anyway) :thumbsup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts