Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed that the sector shaft coming out of the steering box has some play moves side to side and am sure that is what is causing my play and drifting. Should I put a new box on and a brace or just a steering box brace?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Go ahead with the box brace it might save the box. It removed at least half of the slack in my steering. If you have to replace the steering box then you will already have the brace and with the over size wheels you need it.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How good are the custom diesel braces compared to BD? Worth te savings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
My brace just got here today, I bought one from PSC, I have a brand new steering box and it even has a little bit of play in the wheel. I hope that the brace is going to tighten it up. How new is your steering stabilizer shock? Mine was blown so I threw a KORE bilstein unit in it and that made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I got my brace on Ebay for like $125. Honestly, a brace is a brace. I was very impressed with the Custom Diesel quality. I would go with the brace first as it will help your old box. If your old box still sucks, then get a new one and the brace will protect it from wearing the same way. I would NOT pay an extra $100 for someone else's brace.

Reactions: DennisNYS

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have the founds for the box and brace do it up! I got the BD brace couldn't be happier with it, Awesome quality worth every penny!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I have a BD Box Brace! It made the steering feel smoother. Only complaint I have is the pillow block bearing is showing signs of internal bearing wear already. I have greased it since I put it on in Febriuary, so there shoud be no reason for it going bad already.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a BD Box Brace! It made the steering feel smoother. Only complaint I have is the pillow block bearing is showing signs of internal bearing wear already. I have greased it since I put it on in Febriuary, so there shoud be no reason for it going bad already.
You might want to give BD a call and see what the life span is on that bearing. I put mine on around the same time as well, I have greased it too but didn't really look at it.... Probably should do that....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts