Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 93 club cab d250 2wd. I've got a couple ?'s though. The steering has about 3" of play in it. Left and right. Checked the front end, but looks like it is coming from either the steering box or steering shaft. Couldn't really tell. I guess my overall goal w/ this truck is complete reliability and durability. I am not offended to change common worn parts, but want to do it the smart way. I have found a steering box and shaft rebuild kit from vatozone, but is this the way to go? The brakes on this thing are something else. Barely touch them and it feels as though they fully lock. I have to just ever so lightly touch the pedal and ease into it to stop. Accidentally too much and my face is in the windshield. No abs lights on, but am wondering what the common issue is here. Thanks in advance.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
On the brakes I would replace the front hoses. I bet they are bad internaly and holding pressure in the calipers. That hard of braking effort is one thing our trucks is not known for.

Most of us stay away from the rebuilt steering boxes. They do not have a good rep. 84 and up 2WD and $X$ use the same steering box. Just check around the junkyards and you should find something.

The steering coupler you have a couple of choises. One is a rebuild kit from Dodge which runs around $20. The other is a borgenson shaft. That runs around $200. Myself I just use the Dodge rebuild kits.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have added the front brakes, rotors, calipers, and hoses on the front are all new. Including new booster. I haven't looked at the back. Just seems like there is something wrong when you barely touch the brakes and it comes to a complete halt.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Check your rears for leaking axle seals. If they get some oil on the brake shoes, they will lock at the least provocation.

Slack could be from the box and coupler both. With a 2wd, I think the Dodge replacement coupler is adequate. For the $180 difference, I'll go that route on my 4x4.

Stay away from parts store box rebuilds- they are usually just seals and paint added to someone else's old worn out stuff. Mom and I got steering boxes around the same time- she went to O'Reilleys, and I sent mine to PSC to have them go through it. Sold my truck a year later, but her box was shot within 2 years. My PSC box is still doing great last I heard. Price was about the same, too.

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
i cant get the rebuild kits do they still have so were you are phillip i have called evey dodge place around rhode island

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just put a Borgeson shaft in my w250 and I think a couple hun is cheap for tight steering you will never have to worry about again. The hardest part was getting the rusty stocker out :buttkick:

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
Tank I am sending you a PM. I have a rebuilt 2WD lower steering shaft assy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for some direction. Who is psc? I will try to check the axles this weekend. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts