Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
This site has a wealth of information and I'm looking forward to learning about 12 valve Cummins, and the rest of the truck. I bought this '96 long bed club cab from my brother who is the original owner. 212,000 miles. 5speed manual, 4 wheel drive. For the first few years it pulled a 5th wheel trailer and approximately 4 years ago the NV4500 failed. I read here that pulling in 5th can cause this with that trans. At that time a new trans, clutch, pressure plate etc. was installed. My plan is to fix all the small stuff, do some paint work, and enjoy it as a work truck. I don't do much hauling or trailering so I will be pretty easy on it. I am planning on having a shop near where I live, Oceanside CA, do the DPR. and have them check everything out. One of the first things I'd like to do is steam clean under the hood. I think about if I was going to do any wrenching I would want most of the guck blown off. Good idea or?
Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not a good idea……… use degreaser and compressed air. One blast with the steam cleaner and you’ll be chasing gremlins for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a steam cleaner and have steam cleaned my 12 valve several times and various construction and farm equipment diesels and also gasoline engines over the years. I go lightly on decals, wiring harnesses and electrical components. In general, I never clean an injector pump when it is warm or hot. I have never had a problem caused by steam cleaning engines, heavy equipment and vehicles. Unlike a pressure washer, very little water is introduced onto the surfaces you are cleaning. It helps to use a degreaser and let it soak a while before steam cleaning. Goggles and heavy gloves are a must when steaming. I hope that this information is helpful.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,467 Posts
I don't see a problem I wouldn't use a real high pressure one and maybe hold it back some. The alternator might not like it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wrap the alternator and electrical connections in a plastic bag.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
I would make sure to get the truck up to operating temp and go on a little drive like 15-20min to help evaporate the residual water.

Reactions: EL CHOOCH
1 - 6 of 6 Posts