Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i been checking out the covers available for my new, under warranty, vp. one manufacturer says it peirces the wire inside the pump. i know the peirced wire thing will void my warranty on the pump and i dont want to do that. i am looking for a way to tap the comp box into the system without peircing the wire.
if the pump fails and i reinstall the stock cover can my warranty be voided? does the stealth cover leave evidence of being installed for warranty purposes?

·
Registered
365 Posts
you'd have to ask the people you got your pump from.
if you got it from cummins i would hazard a guess that it would.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Stealth covers will void the warranty just like installing a wire tap. The pump rebuilders know about these covers and will check for the wire pierce on warranty repairs. It's very small but noticeable. People probably got away with it a few years back but they've caught on by now.

·
Not like the others......
4,190 Posts
Stealth covers will void the warranty just like installing a wire tap. The pump rebuilders know about these covers and will check for the wire pierce on warranty repairs. It's very small but noticeable. People probably got away with it a few years back but they've caught on by now.
:agree2:

On a side note, the Stealth cover actually pierces the "circuit board" inside the VP pump instead of the wire on the outside.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what a bummer, man!! i am not a wiring expert on these things and i cant find a real live wiring diagram anywhere, so how about this:
the wire comes off the circuit board, then out of the pump itself, then into a harness connector, right or wrong? if the magic wire comes thru a connector, can the wire be tapped on the engine harness side of the connector at some (less than obvious) point in the engine harness?
if this is possible it might be undetectable by the warranty police....

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
First of here in my write up...
Edge COMP

Second of the wire only goes a short distance... It comes out of the VP44 electronics (Fuel controller) and goes to a solinoid on the VP44. The magic wire is only about 2-3 inch long total.

I say use a stealth cover and tap that wire. When you pull the cover back off and put the stock cover back on there is NO traces of you tapping the wire...:w:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts