Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month I've been working on a drop in turbo for the 03-07 5.9 guys. The goal from the start is be stock appearing, fast spool, lower EGT's, and of course add more power without producing excess smoke.

I've been doing the install, the driving, and the dyno testing. Everything is first hand experience and the results have been very successful so far.

Base turbo runs.

After these first runs I then installed the Stealth 64. This turbo is designed to bolt in and require nothing else than removing the factory turbo and dropping this one in place.
STEALTH on top, Stock turbo on bottom

Install is pretty straight forward and within the afternoon you could potentially have them swapped out. It was 80* 100% humidity at 6:45am the morning I swapped them out so staying outside working on the truck was the last thing I wanted to do, but hustling to get them swapped I was able to finish in roughly 1hr and 10 min.

First dyno runs after the STEALTH 64 was installed.

Keep in mind these are max effort tunes designed for max hp on the stock fuel system. Run 1 CSP Tune 3, Run 2 CSP Tune 4, Run 3 CSP Tune5

This is the difference between the Stock turbo and the STEALTH 64. Keep in mind this is with the factory air box and cheap air filter. I wanted to do a test with the S&B intake but I will do that on the next round of testing.

Overall so far we’ve gained 117rwhp and 245rwtq with just a drop in turbo. The custom engine calibrations with EFI live did not change between the turbo swaps. Same files… only variable is the turbo itself. Coming from a history of big single turbos and compounds I can honestly say this turbo drives amazing and has no smoke coming out when while accelerating. Spool up is just like stock and surprisingly enough the factory air box has yet to show a restriction.

Next up is larger Injectors and a Stroker pump from Exergy to see how far we can push the STEALTH for single turbo applications. We have a goal of 725-750rwhp and high 11’s in the quarter mile. Will be doing some towing tests as well after I get a hitch for the truck. - Jim

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Impressive gains. Glad to see you're still playing with the truck a bit lol

Any idea on pricing? Seems like a lot of stock guys would like something like this.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Impressive gains. Glad to see you're still playing with the truck a bit lol

Any idea on pricing? Seems like a lot of stock guys would like something like this.
Pricing is something I don't believe I can discuss on the forum without being a site sponsor. If you would like discuss pricing please contact me at the office. Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Did you find EGT's shot up when you lean on it past 2000rpm? I know in a max effort tune, it's going to, just thinking that drive pressure has to be getting up there on these he351's with big guts stuffed in them. That the 10 blade hx40 turbine wheel you go to when building these? Would the guys building 67's be cramming hx55 pieces in there then? Somebody ever gonna break down and cast a 12cm housing for these 351's? Sorry for the rant- just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seems to be in line with what i am currently on the hunt for. EGTs when towing would be my only real concern.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Subscribed :thumbup:

I believe NRE Performance is a dealer for those as well.

Reactions: jeepvin

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you find EGT's shot up when you lean on it past 2000rpm? I know in a max effort tune, it's going to, just thinking that drive pressure has to be getting up there on these he351's with big guts stuffed in them. That the 10 blade hx40 turbine wheel you go to when building these? Would the guys building 67's be cramming hx55 pieces in there then? Somebody ever gonna break down and cast a 12cm housing for these 351's? Sorry for the rant- just thinking out loud.
Im working on getting actual data for this. Im hoping to have this information sometime next week. We are also keeping this truck within the factory rpm limits and typically don't see drive pressure going past 1:1 until you start spinning past 3400rpm. With our custom calibrations and use of the factory gate wastegate were able to keep drive pressure under control.

Seems to be in line with what i am currently on the hunt for. EGTs when towing would be my only real concern.

Ive seen 300-350* temp drops with the turbo and I'm hoping once the larger injectors go in that will see a temp drop at the same power level without having to command as much in the tuning. -Jim

·
Registered
468 Posts
im glad to see there are playing with dodges again! i was starting to get worried. because i need full attention on my tunes

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the truck to the track last night. Built trans, STEALTH 64, Air dog 150, and Our Efi Live tuning. 12.38 @ 108.3 Truck is on 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Peak Boost 46psi Ill have some video footage soon. -Jim

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Jim nice.

How do you think this turbo would do on 100% over injectors?

·
Registered
298 Posts
What was the boost pressure like? And this will work with 03-early04's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 184 Posts