Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hopefully someone can assist with this problem.

The truck, 98.5 ex cab, shortbed, 5.9 5spd. Raptor, Edge comp

So I have been having a starting problem and a battery drain. Batteries are new (6 mon. or so) I went to start it the other day when it was very cold and it would not turn over, no click, no nothing but the interior lights did not seem to be dim. It appreared to still have a charge.

If I let it sit for several day it will drain the batteries.

I am thinking bad contacts in the starter but would that also cause the batteries to drain?

Any help is appreicated

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Looking at how bright the lights are only gives you a guess at battery charge. You need a volt meter.

Here is how I would begin to solve your problem.

Let me google that for you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looking at how bright the lights are only gives you a guess at battery charge. You need a volt meter.

Here is how I would begin to solve your problem.

Let me google that for you
Possibly too many words in there for you......Here is the question....

**** bad contacts in the starter but would that also cause the batteries to drain?****

I am wondering if anyone has had a bad stater drain their batteries.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
no........look for parascitic drain.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Possibly too many words in there for you......Here is the question....

**** bad contacts in the starter but would that also cause the batteries to drain?****

I am wondering if anyone has had a bad stater drain their batteries.
Hammered, this is not the way to get the help you are asking for!

Junkman gave you a great direction to go, and you slammed him for it. You should look at the the link he provided. Remarks like above will result in no responses to your questions.

:spank: :spank:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hammered, this is not the way to get the help you are asking for!

Junkman gave you a great direction to go, and you slammed him for it. You should look at the the link he provided. Remarks like above will result in no responses to your questions.

:spank: :spank:
rhagfo..I realize that I am automatically incorrect because I do not post as much on this board.

But I felt slammed by junkmans post....

Yes I know that looking at your interior like is not an accurate indicator of battery voltage.

Yes I know how to use Google if I did not know how to check for parasitic draw. The link is very demeaning..give it a try

My question was.....and I now realize that I stated it in incorrectly....

Does anyone have experience with internal starter shorts draining the batteries on these cummins motors. Is this common?

·
PA Diesel Fuel Mafia-Don
1,641 Posts
My dad's truck had the same problem from what you have described. It turned out that the housing for the bendix was cracked and the bendix was getting wedged. He took the starter to a starter and alternator repair shop and that's what found when they bench tested it. He got a new starter and hasn't had any problems since.

Reactions: hammered

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for the helpful response

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
As others have stated, a bad starter will genereally not cause a parasite drain.
But the cntacts can cause resistance and starter will not turn quite fast enought to start. And you don't notice cranking speed. Also one bad battery will rain on your day.
That said. on drain. A suspect is seat belt contact switches hanging and drawing current. Disconnect IOD fuse to unpower.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As others have stated, a bad starter will genereally not cause a parasite drain.
But the cntacts can cause resistance and starter will not turn quite fast enought to start. And you don't notice cranking speed. Also one bad battery will rain on your day.
That said. on drain. A suspect is seat belt contact switches hanging and drawing current. Disconnect IOD fuse to unpower.

Thank you.

is this the switch inside the seatbelt latch that tells the truck if you are belted or not?

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Quote: is this the switch inside the seatbelt latch that tells the truck if you are belted or not?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts