Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lately my truck has been starting a little roughly. It started out just when it was cold but now when I start it it takes a few more turns to turn over and when it catches it sounds like it just barely catches and white smoke blows out of the exhaust..........any clue what is up?

Truck is an 06 5.9l cummins I have no cat no muffler, programmer, icebox intake, torque tube, and cfm intake manifold

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
280 Posts
How many miles you have on it ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
42,000 miles

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have you kept up on the service of fuel filter and drain water regular ?
Kinda sounds like an injector . Have you check the oil for increased level ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had the oil changed they didn't say anything I will check the oil when I get put of class, I vaguely remember changing the fuel filter I run power service additive on at least every 2 tanks or so. I've never done anything reguarding drain water

·
Registered
280 Posts
Your supposed to change the fuel filter ever 15k miles and drain the water like every fill up.
I change my fuel filter every 10k and drain the water every other time I fuel up if I can remember.
To drain the water you need to turn the little yellow lever on the bottom of the fuel filter .You will figure it out.
Its a good possibility you have a clogged filter and if you have never drained off the water you might have some other issues.
After you drain off the water its a good idea to turn the keys to the on position and back off a couple times to cycle the fuel pump so it fills the filter back up. It will save you from having to crank the truck to get fuel.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newb question but where Is the fuel filter

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also what should I be looking for as far as some other problem?

·
Registered
280 Posts
The fuel filter is on the drivers side mounted on the engine towards the back kinda below the brake master cylinder. It will have a black top with a nut like top. 23m socket fits it or you can use a wrench. You will see a little yellow lever on the front bottom of it with a hose going down below. That is the drain for purging water.

I would start by purging the water and changing out the fuel filter and go from there. If you have 44k and never changed filter or drained the water you may have some other problems. Possible bad injectors or pump.

·
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
436 Posts
If you use Power Service there is a good chance you will not have any water in the fuel filter to drain off. Power Service passes water through your filter into your injection system and tries to burn it off in the engine. I've seen a few sets of 5.9L and 6.7L common rail injectors damaged by additives like this.

In theory a very very very small amount of emulsified water can be passed through the system without causing damage. The problem is if you get a large amount of water in your tank then water is constantly being passed through the system and when you shut your truck off the water can drop out of emulsion as the temperature of the fuel drops. This "free water" will cause corrosion on your injectors and pump, damaging them.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If you use Power Service there is a good chance you will not have any water in the fuel filter to drain off. Power Service passes water through your filter into your injection system and tries to burn it off in the engine. I've seen a few sets of 5.9L and 6.7L common rail injectors damaged by additives like this.

In theory a very very very small amount of emulsified water can be passed through the system without causing damage. The problem is if you get a large amount of water in your tank then water is constantly being passed through the system and when you shut your truck off the water can drop out of emulsion as the temperature of the fuel drops. This "free water" will cause corrosion on your injectors and pump, damaging them.
Great info...... thanx!

Definitely has the tell tale signs of 1 or more bad injectors. If still under warranty, I'd have the dealer do an injector flow/return test..... until then, keep checking your oil for signs of fuel. If you find you've been making oil, stop driving the truck immediately.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It is a injector issue but the dealership will not do anything about it until it has a hard fail. I just found out that cummins knows there is injector problems but wont do anything or put anything on paper because then they would have to replace injectors in all are trucks

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so any idea what i should do next?.....im replacing the fuel filter tomorrow anything that i should look for after I replace it? how do i know for sure that an injector is affected and if it is what is the next step?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It is a injector issue but the dealership will not do anything about it until it has a hard fail. I just found out that cummins knows there is injector problems but wont do anything or put anything on paper because then they would have to replace injectors in all are trucks

That is incorrect. Lots of dealerships know the symptoms of a bad/leaking injector, and will flow/return test them to verify it. There is a recent thread where a CF member just had all 6 injectors replaced under warranty after the responses to his thread led him to believe he might have an injector problem.

And Dodge has acknowledged the CR injector problems. Late in 2006 Bosch/Cummins introduced updated CR injectors, which are supposed to hold up much better than the original ones, and Dodge has a white smoke, hard start TSB that includes checking the injectors in the flow chart. All you need is to find a dealer that's not afraid to do his job.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so will my injectors be covered under warranty? even if i have a programmer,.... etc

·
Registered
86 Posts
Put it back to default or whatever and dont tell em you got that programmer. I dont own a programmer so I am not sure as to how they work. Look at my thread "weird 07 provs UPDATE" Sounds kind of the same problems I had.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i took it in and they just had to flash the computer.........runs fine now......wierd

1 - 17 of 17 Posts