Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

starting problem

426 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  dozer12216
1999 5.9L, 240,000 Miles. Ran out of fuel had to be towed. The garage put a new "prime pump" on and said the computer was bad. Drove to a dodge dealer who said the injector pump was bad and they couldn't tell about the computer until they replaced the injector pump! Felt like I was getting hosed so I drove it home. It seems to run well with the exception of the fact that to start it I have to turn the key on and wait until the prime pump stops then turn the key off and back on after which the prime pump runs again and then it will start?????
In case you haven't figured it out by now, I don't know a thing about diesels. What they call and I'm calling a prime pump probably has a different name but that's the one they gave me. When I said the pump runs it is because it sounds like a pump running, could be something else but the two times of turning the key on and waiting in between works.
I tried the key read of the codes but could not get any to show up.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
O'K calm down and have a beer or two. You are in for a long ride.
First I would hope you now have fuel pressure after LIFT PUMP (prime pump)was replaced. Some one should perform a LP pressure test to verify.
Did the dealer make note of any fault codes? It sounds like the dealer found fault codes that convinced him of VP44 failure. The dealer should have told you if asked correct question. Now there is a possibility that unit has not completelly purged the fuel system or the shop installing LP created a air/fuel leak that is causing to lose prime. Try this: Park the unit downhill with full tank of fuel. If it now starts normally, you are in luck. Just find the air/fuel leak in fuel delivery or return lines. If no satsifaction, continue.
So if I am reading the blured lines correctlly you need a VP44 (injection pump). The failed LP will take down a VP44 in relative short order. Futher the likely hood of the ECM (computer) being bad is quite remote. Do not consider the ecm to be bad.
With the vehicle running you are not on foot yet...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.