Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there....New Guy here. I've read tonz of threads on here..very helpful, but couldn't find one that looked like my issue. From time to time my truck will not start. The truck could be at top running temp...turn it off..maybe 10 mins later try to start it..no go. The engine will turn over but no ignition. I've replaced the lift pump, prefilter, fuel filter, fuel hoses because of cold start issues. I am at a complete loss.:confused013: Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Phillip

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Only does it when hot? If so, sometimes electrical things start getting heat sensitive when they're failing. Try this: Next time it fails to start, leave the key in the ON position, do not turn it off after cranking the starter. Raise the hood, get out and pull up on the fuel shutoff linkage on the pump. It's the part the shutoff solenoid pulls up on. If it moves much at all, there's probably something wrong in the shutoff solenoid circuitry. If that is the case, don't immediately run out and buy another solenoid-the solenoid itself is usually not the problem.

I don't know as much as some others here about isolating the problem with the shutoff solenoid electrical stuff, but I just wanted you to check to see if it's working when the truck won't start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only does it when hot? If so, sometimes electrical things start getting heat sensitive when they're failing. Try this: Next time it fails to start, leave the key in the ON position, do not turn it off after cranking the starter. Raise the hood, get out and pull up on the fuel shutoff linkage on the pump. It's the part the shutoff solenoid pulls up on. If it moves much at all, there's probably something wrong in the shutoff solenoid circuitry. If that is the case, don't immediately run out and buy another solenoid-the solenoid itself is usually not the problem.

I don't know as much as some others here about isolating the problem with the shutoff solenoid electrical stuff, but I just wanted you to check to see if it's working when the truck won't start.
Sound like a good start. I'll check it out.
Thank you very much for your input:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
My bet is it's a $4 fix, the blue colored fusible link at your driver's side battery is corroded.
It may be corroded under the insulation where you can't see it.

Or it could be the solenoid relay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thnx illflemm! I'll check that out. I'm beginning to wonder if my "Cold Start" issue that i was having was more an electrical issue than not. Oh well...That stuff prolly needed to be replaced anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts