Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had my truck long enough to deal with it in the winter months yet. Basically i will be getting leaving work around 6am and there isnt anywhere to plug my truck in. Is starting without using the heater everyday during the week in winter going to damage the motor? I will switch to Valvoline 5W40 synthetic for the winter in hopes of easing the intial wear on the motor.

·
Registered
222 Posts
where do you live ? Depending on just how cold it gets, kind of determines whether or not you need to plug in.. I live in Oklahoma and mine didn't come with a plug in, dealer says we don't have cold enough winters here to need them.. I don't know, this is my first diesel, but dealers know best... Right ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
We had a few weeks in the 20's this year and It did start easier pluggin in but it started right up with out as well. I could tell the difference. I was wondering about the heater option. I don't want to spend $1500 for it but it is an option if your concerned about it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The lowest Temp I started my Truck without plugging in is -22Celcius, This yr we saw the lowest upto -45C

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Your truck should start with no problems well below 0F without being plugged in. It is designed to start at -20F without the block heater. My truck does not have a block heater cord and it has started at -2F with no problems. With 5-40 synthetic, your truck will turn over faster and make alot less noise.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Eclipseaudio......I live in springfield and I hardley ever plug mine in......i plugged in once last winter and it was pretty cold. Most of the time if it is really cold I will cycle the grid heaters a couple of times and then run the hi idle for a little before leavin

JIM

·
Registered
25 Posts
My last cabin trip was in Jan. at 10,000 ft. temp. was -20 F. truck sat for 3 days (without being plugged in) it started a little slower but had no problem.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I live in SD and it has been a COLD winter here. Many days below 0 and also well below 10. While it sits in my driveway (if the heated garage is full of sleds) it gets plugged in if it's 10 or below. But when I travel, lots, it typically doesn't get plugged in and I've been places and it's gotten down to -20 and only as warm as -10 during the day and have yet to have a hint of a problem starting without being plugged in. It's sat for days in a parking lot at well below 0 and started right up. I've also never put an ounce of #1 fuel in my trucks, always use Amsoil Cold Flow improver and have never gelled up. Before that I've been a faithful Howes user and same story there.

I wouldn't be too concerned about these starting anywhere in the lower 48.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i run 0w40 and dont have anywhere to plug. the coldest i would start in this situation is -28celcius. any colder then that and my GF is driving me in to work.

i wanna get a diesel heater either a espar or wabaso, both i was told were good.

G

·
It'll start, but if your talking everyday of an Illinois winter, with no place to plug it in at work, I'd look into espar or wabaso diesel heaters. Kind of spendy, but I think in your case worth it. The wosrt temp I ever started was 2*F, and it started right up, but I wouldn't want to listen to that cold start sound everyday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts