Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering why we arnt supposed to use any type of starting fluids in our trucks ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
The major concern is the grid heater. It could ignite the either and cause an explosion. I have heard some concern about the head gasket when used to aggressively also.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
explosion, like would the engine blow apart or ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
explosion, like would the engine blow apart or ?
Yes it is very possible. The reason is under that much compression the starter fluid ignites way to violently that it can make the engine rev too quickly and cause damage. Used in light amounts, during very dire staits conditions, would be an acceptable risk but I wouldn't consider that general practice. Back in the old days of the IDI diesels that was the only way to get them to fire with the weak glow plugs or grid heaters on industrial equipment. This is what the grid heater / glow plugs are for. The problem is people get too impatient with a cold diesel and just do what ever to get it to start. The problem with starter fluid is It raises the combustion chamber pressures when ignited to allow for the fuel to ignite.

I donot think ether in a diesel made after the 80's is a good idea. You might as well put gas in the tank. It's about the same thing

Take this as you wish. But if you feel you need this kind of stuff to get your rig started, then it is guaranteed that you have an underlying problem somewhere else that is making your cold starts more difficult. 30* - 40* below is a different story because then your trying to get it to fire out of reasonable temps that the engine was never designed to operate in without additional help like a block heater etc

-Powder Keg

·
Registered
424 Posts
The heater grid will ignite the ether and cause major damage. All new diesels it's unsafe to use it.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
If you need starting fluid you NEED to repair your truck... This will be 9th winter with my truck going into -20 to -25*F cold morning and never once needed starting fluid or had hard starting. Its rarely ever plugged in... :shock:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
:agree2:

I would never use starting fluid in my Cummins! Some use it to start after a filter change .

Air lock is a common issues on Mechanical injector diesels (most common after changing fuel filters). Make bleeding air a habit when changing filters. Just "Bumping" the starter to run the pump a couple times doesn't rid the system of air, you need to give the air a place to go. I open the H2O drain while the pump is running, to bleed the filter canister. Then crack the the grease gun line for my FP gauge at the VP$$ to rid the last of it.

Just on my :sb:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Have used ether on over 30+ trucks and havn't had one single problem. It just takes one sniff of it not a bunch to work. Its a great diagnostics tool when trying to figure out if you have a bad injector. I also use it whenever I am bymyself and am trying to bleed a second gen.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Have used ether on over 30+ trucks and havn't had one single problem. It just takes one sniff of it not a bunch to work. Its a great diagnostics tool when trying to figure out if you have a bad injector. I also use it whenever I am bymyself and am trying to bleed a second gen.
Even then... I've never had a need for it. I serviced plenty of 2nd Gens (12V and 24V) and since never needed the starting fluid to prime a fuel system.

To this day I never have and never will have a can of starting fluid in my shop... I won't even use it on gassers... Because all you stating by using it is the engine has a fuel system problem for cold starting and should be repaired in either gasoline or diesel.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
For ONE reason and one reason only the grid heater.

Ether can be used on diesel engine if you take the proper precautions. Like disabling the grid heater.

Cummins and other diesel engine MFG's make diesel engines that come with a ether starting aid that is factory installed.
Some call it a hot-shot. It will spray ether for you automatically.

All these wives tales are amazing. None of these "new" engines have any fuel system problems, yet they come with a starting aid that uses ether..

just wondering why we arnt supposed to use any type of starting fluids in our trucks ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you need starting fluid you NEED to repair your truck... This will be 9th winter with my truck going into -20 to -25*F cold morning and never once needed starting fluid or had hard starting. Its rarely ever plugged in... :shock:
Truck starts fine, just curious. When I air locked my fuel system a couple weeks back my co worker tried getting me to spray staring fluid in it. Glad I didn't.

·
Banned
768 Posts
I use a propane torch after a filter install starts right up every time no issues. I actually carry around a propane torch just in case i would ever run out of full or something of that nature happened.

I don't care how hot that grid heater gets it isn't going to ignite the propane. If any one thinks it will show me some proof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts