Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just finished up swapping out my stock injectors for some 5x14

wanted to know if its always hard to start initially

is there a way to bleed the fuel lines ?? if so how

i tried to start it up had to step hard on the throttle
sputters a couple times and dies .... some smoke leaves exhaust

want to hear from someone thats had some experience before i try again in the morning . dont wanna kill the starter

installation went smooth tightened up cross over lines first.. then the injector lines at the top of the injector

all help and advice is appreciated

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
u need to crack the lines at the injectors til fuel squirts out then tighten and start. might run rough for a sec while all the air comes out... then enjoy

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
crack all the lines (or a couple at least) at the injector, jump in the truck and stand on the throttle and roll the engine over for a few seconds. Then get out and check to see if their is fuel at the injectors, if not repeat until you do. tighten the lines and your good to go, it should light up pretty easily. might sputter a bit until all of the air works its way out though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
get a can of eather, crank, hold to floor and have a buddy spray away !!!! but ve carfull its an ez way to f stuff up ! might just wana crack the line/hand pump way its safer!

·
Registered
396 Posts
you should loosen fuel lines on the injector and start pumpin your fuel pump itll probably take 30 or so pumps and watch the injector lines till fuel comes out, tighten them up and she should turn over. i was under the impression to not use either, ive always heard to use wd40?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't use ether, Just crack the lines to get the air out. Like others have said it mine run rough, but that will go away.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Never use ether on these engines. It is dangerous. You can do a lot more than just destroy the engine. Leave the ether sitting on the shelf and let the ones with old and almost wore out diesels play with it.

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
silicone spray will coat the inside of your intercooler and reduce its efficiency... the truck is still going to be starting off of volitile vapors. There's nothing wrong w/ ether if used intelligently, but there's also no need for it on a healthy 12v.

crack the injector lines, crank till you see fuel, tighten them up, give it a little pedal and fire it up. it'll stumble a little, but it'll quickly smooth out :cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I still had the original lift pump and changed injectors all I did was to floor the throttle and start cranking. Started always within 10 seconds. Very rough for first 5 seconds and then it will run like it should. Never needed to crack the fuel lines.

If you do P-pump work and have drained it then that will need priming. Remember to prime with the throttle floored. It's easier that way.

I now have AirDog 150 so this hassle is obsolete for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Let us know what you think of the injectors when you get a chance. I ordered some and are waiting on their arrival.

·
3,998 Posts
ok ether is bad news one way or the other, dont do it. just take the time to crack the lines, and have someone with a 2x4 waiting next to the turbo when ya fire her up just incase she runs off:thumbsup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
i don't see what everybody's worried about with ether. me and my friends all use it at one time or another. we unhook the grid heater and don't get carried away with it. use just a barely and you're not gonna hurt a thing. we've done it on trucks ranging from 10k-300k. as long as your not stupid its not gonna hurt anything. cummins makes an ether kit for their industrial motors so.................

·
3,998 Posts
im not sayin its dangerous for you as a person, cause as a self respecting man and having no frontal lobe development. i dont think about health and safety......but as far as the motor goes, first off its a 12valve, if your havin to use ether to start it then you've got bigger issues that need to be tended to, second if one person says "as long as you dont abuse it" and the world assumes hey hey that means no more than one can of it at a time. i dunno i've just seen holes in pistons, bent rods, all cause stupidity. but one way or the other this thread is about starting after injectors. if ya didnt use to have a problem starting ya wont now, do it right and crack the lines. be ready with the 2x4 and go roll the coal :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.