Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was leaving work earlier today, and when I started my truck I noticed a louder humming sound than normal. I thought it might have been something stuck to the air filter(thats kind of what it sounded like), So I shut it off after a about 10 seconds and the friggin starter was still cranking with the key off. I cycled the key ON/OFF a few times but it kept on spinning. I was starting to look for a wrench to unhook the batteries and it stopped. I let it sit and looked things over for a minute, and started it back up, and everythings fine. I started and stopped it five or six times and it is fine.

Any idea whats going on with my starter? Will I need to replace it soon?
Has anyone else had this happen?

PS Sorry if this has already been covered a 100 times already. I'm just kind of wanted an answer before I keep driving it.

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not exactly sure about your problem, but I wouldn't buy another starter. The starter on my 01 started sticking. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't and I could never figure out why. Well I saw a starter rebuild kit on ebay for $19 and ordered it. Better than buying a $200 or more starter. When I got the kit I took the starter off and opened it up. I think that the way it works is when you turn the key the battery creates a magnetic charge on the plunger (or whatever it is called) and pulls it down against two metal contact points completing the circuit and spinning the starter. When I opened mine, I found that the contact points had been hit so many times that they had grooved and were almost completely worn away. The rebuild kit came with a new plunger, beefed up contact points (heavy duty), and seals. If you have any kind of mechanical ability, you can do this and it is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the starter. It is only a few bolts once you get the starter off. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I probably will rebuild it instead of buying a new one.

Anybody have a clue why it stuck on with the key off?

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
rebuilding is WAY CHEAPER Im not sure but maybe the starting silonoid?? I dont know a darn thing about that though just another thought..

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am going to assume without looking at wiring diagrams that you have a problem with the starter solenoid relay. Typically when the plunger and contacts go bad in a starter you get irratic, no starts, and occassionally blown fuses.

·
Registered
98 Posts
sounds to me like you need to put in larry b super starter contacts doubt it is the solenoid :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts