Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I went to start the 2002 and it made a single electrical tick sound. Started fine on the next attempt. Like maybe the starter solenoid was bad. Did it once since then. Last night it did it like 8 times in a row. The last time that I turned the key it engaged but I didn't hold it down long enough for the engine to fire. I believe the next time(tomorrow morning) might be he last time it works. So I will be heading to the parts store.
Anyone know of a common cause or what this sounds like?

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
Go smack the starter solenoid with a hammer. Good chance it'll fire right up after...you know you found your problem then.

My 03 has been doing the same, hammer trick worked yesterday.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine did this yesterday. Puller the starter today and found the contacts are burned up and the lip of the plunger is severely pitted. I'm going to replace the contacts and solenoids with these:

Larryb - LarryB's Dodge Cummins Denso Starter solenoid kit, 89-2006

Starter should be good for 100K more miles after this. My starter is still the original with 148K miles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.