Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my sons soccer game, drove approx 5 miles home. left the truck idle in the driveway long enough to use the bathroom and then continued to town for icecream. Maybe two miles down the road the truck started to pass the halfway 220 spot on the guage so I thought immediately to crank the defroster and turn back to home. I just had the entire front torn apart for about a week and a half to clean the intercooler and flush the radiator while I was replacing the trans cooler and hoses. ( It has been about two weeks with no issue.) So I thought maybe it was a little low from air burping out of the system. Upon getting home I began to smell coolant but temp was still touching the center mark on the guage and I shut it down to find the entire bottom of the truck and engine bay soaked in coolant.

So long story short, I looked everything over well and noticed what looked like a good volume coming from the bottom of the water pump. Very noticeable. But not enough to be from a weap hole I wouldnt think. And it seemed to be coming from the space between the pump and the block.

I have read a TON of water pump failure threads and everyone seems to say its leaking from the weap hole. truck is at 205k miles and lost better than 3/4 of the coolant volume during that couple miles back home. There where no previous leaks as I drove the truck all day with no issues and no puddles.

Is it possible the Oring has failed? Its late now so I wont be able to tear into it till tomorrow. But seems like too much for a small weap hole to push. Am I fooling myself? And I reused the coolant that was in it after filtering it. So Im not sure what I should run in it after I redo water pump.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the matter are appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also don't know how old the water pump is, and is it possible the week and a half it sat empty did the water pump in?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm not sure what could be causing your leak but a water pump is only around 50 bucks at napa and I use heavy duty zerex coolant from napa. Stuff is awesome, truck never gets hot even in these Arizona summers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shott17

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I answered my own questions and doubts today. It didn't all come out of the weap hole. It all came out from the shaft which was disconnected from the impeller and pulled 70% of the way out of the housing. Then the rest made it out the weap hole haha.

We're back in service running like a champ.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
try refilling the rad with water and checking for leaks. Sometimes a blown head gasket will pass combustion gases into the water jacket and blow the water out.

Fill with water and observe the radiator with the cap off, if its belching out like Old Faithful it may be a head gasket. At present it sounds like a failed water pump. Cheap and easy fix if it is. Drying it out may have made a worn seal dry out and fail.

Ops

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. You got off easy. This one just let go.

Catastrophic water pump failure from a 1st Gen:

Yikes man. I look back and think I was given warning signs. But I didn't notice them thanks to the noise the engine makes just idling/running as compared to a gasser. I thought I heard a small squeeking/scratching but I wasn't sure. And I started researching alternator's thinking maybe the bearings are going. Turns out I was wrong and should have seen it coming if I wasn't such a dip****. But yeah, glad I got off easy with this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts