Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01.5 High Output CTD in my truck and a guy I work with has an 01 Standard Output CTD in his truck. Side by side at idle with the hoods up my truck is much much louder than his. And by louder I'm talking rattle from under the hood, not exhaust note. It sounds like my VP44 makes a lot more racket than his does. It doesn't sound "bad", it's the same sound as my buddies standard output just a lot louder. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
Valve adjustment...
Valve Adjustment

Injection pump wear... Add some 2 cycle oil...
2 Cycle Oil

Mine sounds like a 3rd Gen most of the time... :hehe:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been following your recommendations for 2 cycle oil and adding it 128:1. It quieted things down a little but it's still louder than my buddy's truck. I plan on doing a valve adjustment soon. I've been all through your website and I must say, props for gathering all that information in one place. I will be following your instructions when I complete the valve adjustment. Without those I don't know that it's something I would have attempted myself. I've just been biding my time till it gets a little warmer out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i love the rattle of a diesel thats why i bought a 24v
The rattle doesn't bother me...I mean it's a diesel, its supposed to rattle. Just that my buddy's is a lot quieter than mine....wondered if anything was wrong that's all.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine sounds like a tractor when it's cold, then like Mopar says, it's purrs like a 3rd gen when it's warm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
its funny you say tractor.. my two buddies have a d max and powerjoke. and pry ten or so friends all have diesels around here.. well more than that pry, haha but yup mines known as the tractor...i just say yeah your right my truck could actually pull a plow,, unlike yours haha love the vp rattle!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
I've been following your recommendations for 2 cycle oil and adding it 128:1. It quieted things down a little but it's still louder than my buddy's truck. I plan on doing a valve adjustment soon. I've been all through your website and I must say, props for gathering all that information in one place. I will be following your instructions when I complete the valve adjustment. Without those I don't know that it's something I would have attempted myself. I've just been biding my time till it gets a little warmer out.
With all the proper tools it should take about 1 hour to adjust you valves...:thumbsup:

But a warmer day is aways nice to have if your stuck outside...

·
Registered
560 Posts
got everything on mine adjusted and man! did that quiet the noise down a lot! it's actually nice to drive it now...i can hear myself think and can carry out a conversation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
also when I changed my stock lp to an air dog 150 my engine is a lot quieter.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
even perfectly tuned the HO is going to be louder because of the higher compression ratio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts