Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a plain-jane (stock) Dodge Ram 3500 4WD with the quad cab (2004). It has about 102 000 miles on it - and up until recently, has been absolutely perfect to drive and steer.

I made the mistake of taking it to a dealer to have them check the suspension/steering - the truck wasn't steering straight, seemed to roll in corners and just wasn't itself. The dealer convinced me to spend $2500 replacing the steering rod/arms and a bunch of other parts related to the steering. But it hasn't fixed the problem entirely.

I still get roll in corners - so I suspect the shocks may be tired and need replacing. I'm quite capable of doing a shocks replacement. However; I see the Bilstien 5100 are well recommended - but I keep seeing they are for trucks with 2" or so lift. My truck is just the standard height - no lift or anything. In fact, if I did lift it, I wouldn't get it in my garage. The cab lights miss the garage door by about 1/2 an inch.

So ... what are your recommendations? Can I install a set of Bilstein 5100's and have the truck remain at the same height? Or should I look to another brand/model of shocks?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.
Lakewood

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
The bilstein 4600...yellow and blue.

Esentially a similar shock to the 5100...slightly different valving, but very close.

The 5100 is an OFFROAD shock with limited warranty, where as the 4600 is direct replacement as usually has a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: Lakewood

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Shocks will NOT lift a vehicle ANY height at all. Period. Now, if they have springs on them like a coilover, then that's a different story.

In your case, replace your front sway bar bushings and link bushings with urethane and that will tighten your sway a LOT. Also, add a steering box brace and new track arm bushings if you have not yet done so. Then, pick whatever shocks you want.

Geno's Garage has them. '03-'07 Dodge Ram Luke's Link Trackbar Rebuild Kit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you rgsauger - I'll probably get the 4600's and look into the other suggestions you made.

Much appreciated - this forum is terrific.

Regards
Lakewood

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Shocks will NOT lift a vehicle ANY height at all. Period.
You sure about that? My shocks lift it about .5-1" once I fill them with nitrogen ... And no they aren't coilover shocks that I'm talking about.

To the OP I would be looking at the joints on the sway bar to ensure everything is still snug first. Then start looking at the shocks. Are you sure it's not tire related? Old tires or low tire pressure might be causing some rolling action between the rim and wheel that's on the ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks tgibbs

All these great ideas and suggestions are very welcome. Looks like I'm going to have a great weekend - checking all these items and doing some investigation.

You guys are terrific. Wish I'd found this forum before I went to the dealer. Oh well, live and learn. :)

Thank you all
Lakewood.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You probably paid a premium but more Han likely they replaced all the normal wear items up front which is really the key. Sounds to me like a small item was over looked is all. The steering on these trucks are not over built at all so do need to be periodically changed out for new parts.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
You sure about that? My shocks lift it about .5-1" once I fill them with nitrogen ... And no they aren't coilover shocks that I'm talking about..

Ummmmmm...they shouldn't. How much nitrogen you putting in??? What psi?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I replaced my shocks with Bilstein 4600's and rotated the tires. Now everything is great.
I suspect the shocks were at fault. I could compress them very easily and they took a long time coming back up.

Thank you all again.
Lakewood.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Glad to hear...

How is the ride with the 4600 ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Stormin 08

The 4600's have made a noticeable difference. Much more rigid and way less sway or roll in corners. I'd recommend them to anyone.
As a side note - I don't do much off-roading. I'm told the 5100's might be better if you're into off-roading. I think the 5100's are a little softer.

Lakewood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts