Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At $4.60 a gallon, I will be forced to work overtime to even make it to work. I'm looking into making one of these electrolysis setups. I also would like to run propane because I've got a pretty good hookup on that (cheap cheap). I've also researched biodiesel and have a few things lined up for a homemade kit. 5 percent seems like a pretty safe amount of waste engine oil to add (filtered of course). My question is, will all of this combust properly, or will the mix create some kind of chemical reaction? I've read that hydrogen can raise egt's. I'm also looking into buying the Quadzilla Adrenaline. It has a pyrometer built in. If it raises the egt's too high, I'll go with a 4 inch exhaust, but if that's not enough, what about throwing water/methanol into the mix? I know that's a lot of fuel, but I plan on getting a cfm+ and afe filter. It will be a pretty penny, but if I have to take some money out of the bank to save money, thats what I'll have to do. The extra power will just be an added bonus.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome to the eternal search. Just a word of advice, save your money on the hydrogen crap. It does nothing. Not one person running the device has seen any improvement, except for the people selling the units. Biodiesel is probably the best way to go, and they way I'm getting ready to go. You can expect to spend anywhere from 300 to 700 for a decent setup, but at about a buck a gallon, it pays for itself real quick.

·
Registered
435 Posts
We're all suffering the same way you are. The things I've read is that propane is really dry and can harm the engine however, you can make a set up for cheap. There are rumors of guys having problems and then guys saying it's the best thing out there. Never heard of any guys with problems with Meth/water mixes. Best MPG gains with propane though. I like propane, however i haven't had time to design my own. I think a mix of bio and propane would be the most cost effective. You'll get the extra power you need with the propane and the cheap diesel with the bio. Go up to B50 to be safe in a common rail but you still gotta change that fuel filter more often, especially in the beginning when the bio loosens up all that gunk in the tank and lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts