Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought a 99 im thinking of cutting the exhaust at the beginning of the cab and putting a 3ft stack on it under the truck anything i should worry about.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Priorities

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why not a 4 or 5 inch exhaust kit? I'm not following/understanding why you would put a stack under your truck. You would have to fab up some hangers to make it work I'm assuming?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why not a 4 or 5 inch exhaust kit? I'm not following/understanding why you would put a stack under your truck. You would have to fab up some hangers to make it work I'm assuming?
I agree, an exhaust kit would be better. No reason to hack up the exhaust unless your only goal is to be loud.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is it going to come out the side, in front of the tire?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
so i bought a 99 im thinking of cutting the exhaust at the beginning of the cab and putting a 3ft stack on it under the truck anything i should worry about.
Just no.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm pretty sure in some states the exhaust must exit X amount of inches beyond the cab or something like that. Don't know where you live but they might give you grief about that for an inspection sticker. Also the fumes will probably rise up right into the cab of the truck along with the noise. If you throw a tuner on the thing and start blowing smoke you could start smoking yourself out. Might as well plumb the exhaust into the AC vents at that point.

Have you considered just cutting the muffler out and throwing in a new piece of pipe?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I had exhaust dump in front of the rear tire on a reg cab years ago.
It was loud as heII. :D Your girl is gonna hate you and your truck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is no benefit of a stack besides looks and sound. In my state on trucks with no emissions on them you can run any type of exhaust. But you can't be over a certain decibel level. If you want it loud just put a kit on it or hack the resonator and muffler off and dump it out over the axle.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm going to guess you're a young kid, this is your first diesel, it's stock but you don't want it to sound stock, so you posted this hokey question about cutting the exhaust and installing a stack under the truck because you want it to be- loud? This is exactly the type of thing responsible diesel owners are trying to prevent.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
I would not recommend spending the money on a stack that you can't see. Just go with a 5" system and cut it somewhere after the cab, preferably after the axle.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Any exhaust pipe that stops under the middle of the truck is going to drone, badly. Out the side is better, but sound still bounces off buildings, barriers, and such.

Another noise thing I've discovered is a mixed-size pipe system... say 3" at turbo, 4" after the cab, and 5" tip (what a friend has) is louder than a basic 4" from end to end. Its as if the noise/harshness of the smaller pipe is amplified in the bigger sections.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Don't forget, we were all young kids at one time. And now it's his turn. 🍻
Very true, and I certainly don't want to be the fun police. I guess my take is just do it in private.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am a young kid lol its not stock. the exhaust isnt stock either i just like the sound of a stack i just dont want to cut a hole in my bed. also i live in oklahoma so emissions isnt really a problem. would yall suggest pointing it to the side instead of down.

I would not recommend spending the money on a stack that you can't see. Just go with a 5" system and cut it somewhere after the cab, preferably after the axle.
its only 90 bucks

1 - 20 of 67 Posts