Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have stable loads for SRW 3500? I have a 2016 diesel 4wd and want to try stable loads for too much sag with my truck camper. I'm below GVWR but the rear end sags; timbres ride like frozen bricks. I only have lower overloads, a single overload leaf, and the gap between the overload and the main pack seems very small so I'm curious how much the stable loads will help.

If anyone has pictures that would be awesome too, thanks!

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,970 Posts
Greetings @Kaboom (y)

My 2016 SRW 3500 camper hauler has Ride-Rite 5000Lb airbags, Rubber lower StableLoads, and Hellwig 2500 Lb helper springs (double 2.5" add-a-leafs).

* By far the best item was the (rubber) lower StableLoads.
(cheap, light, simple, adjustable, and very effective, but a bit of a PITA to install).

* The worst was the airbags.
(heavy, expensive, complex, a PITA to install, increases top heavy sway).

* And somewhere in the middle: The 2500Lb Hellwig Helper Leafs.
(heavy at 69 pounds a set, helped the sag 'somewhat', when unloaded the ass of the truck is a bit higher and adjusting the springs to get it lower is a PITA, but they are adjustable & a relatively simple install procedure).

What I have learned. . .
A light duty truck like a SRW Ram 3500 really isn't enough of a vehicle for truck camper duty, even a small camper like mine overloads the little Ram.

The more correct approach would be to go to a spring shop and have a heavier rear spring pack built and installed. It would be the proper fix and be a lot cheaper & cleaner than buying all the add-on crap that I wasted my money on.🙄

Happy camping & keep us posted!
-Ej- 🍺

Reactions: 98whitelightnin

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Did you install the airbags to be separate from each other? If not, then yeah. They can be less than ideal. If you set them up to operated independently of each other, I see no reason at all for them to make matters worse. Truck leans one way, all the air from one bag transfers to the other, making matters worse when they're not separate.

Independent operation isn't as critical if you're using them for a fiver or something like that. But for a bed Camper? I'd say it's absolutely necessary.

Everything else, I agree with. A dually is more gooder for a camper. But I'm not a camper kind of guy. I spend months in my Toy Hauler sometimes, but a Camper? I'll pass, thank you. But, as the contortionist said, to each his own

I had a set of Super Springs on my F-150. Took me about 5 minutes to install them on each side.

They worked really well. Liked them a lot.

Not familiar with how well they might, or might not, work on a HD Truck.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think air bags are great. Seeing that you have a truck camper makes me agree that the bags should be plumbed separately. I plumbed mine together as I only haul gooseneck trailers which do not impact sway.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,970 Posts
Airbags are completely separate.
I dont even think Firestone sells a 'tied' system configuration.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
The custom leafpack is the best. Problem is I don't know if it would beat you to death unladen. A Hellwig Big Wig will help with the sway without affecting ride quality on the highway.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,970 Posts
Seems the original question has been answered...
Now if the OP comes back with some pics of his rig and some CAT scale tickets we can really get this thread jumping. 😄🍺

·
Registered
666 Posts
They still do - my firestone compressor came with one gauge and instructions to plumb the bags together.

Reactions: RammerJam

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,970 Posts
I haven't checked recently, but I promise you, it wasn't that long ago they did. Especially with the onboard compressor.
They still do - my firestone compressor came with one gauge and instructions to plumb the bags together.
Okay, I see the point here, but who would tie them together even if you could. It doesnt seem to make much sense.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,970 Posts
Some day I'll "bite the bullet" and get rid of the StableLoads, the stupid RideRite airbag system, the hillbilly add-a-leaf springs, and just have a spring shop install a proper leaf spring pack.

Reality Check: I've never wasted so much money (and Blood, Sweat, & Tears) trying to make believe that my little Ram 3500 was honestly capable of hauling a 3800 pound camper.
Now even I'm confused... Its too much of a pig to be a decent grocery-getter, but its too anemic to properly haul my little camper.
meh. . .
I had a dually years back. They cant be parked. Not sure I want another one.😞
Hey @Jimmy N. if I buy a tandem can I hire you to give me "parking" lessons?

-Ej- 🍺

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
My Buddy's Freightliner didn't have leaf or coil spring suspension. It used airbags. Only.

Somebody should tell them how bad they are.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Okay, I see the point here, but who would tie them together even if you could. It doesnt seem to make much sense.
me neither. there is no situation that I could think of where it would be beneficial to have them plumbed together.
There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about plumbing air bags together or individually. I do not have a truck camper. Most of the weight hauled by my truck has a very low center of gravity because that weight is transferred by a gooseneck trailer, 5th wheel or bumper pull trailer. I think the argument of body roll being amplified by air bags plumbed together comes from loads with a high center of gravity (truck campers).

In addition, these trucks have a beefy rear anti-sway bar that keeps a lot of body roll under control. I can confirm that pulling my 14,000 lbs horse trailer with air bags plumbed together did not increase body roll or sway at all. The truck pulls the trailer a lot smoother and more under control with bags. I only put around 55psi in my bags so it does not take a lot to firm up the load. I could totally debunk this myth if I took the time to put go pros under my truck focused on each bag. There is no noticeable transfer of pressure from one bag to another with my bags plumbed together.

In the end, it is a heck of lot easier and cheaper to install the bags plumbed together. I wanted my bags to be at the same psi and didn't want to spend more just to control the bags individually. It serves no purpose for my use.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Some day I'll "bite the bullet" and get rid of the StableLoads, the stupid RideRite airbag system, the hillbilly add-a-leaf springs, and just have a spring shop install a proper leaf spring pack.

Reality Check: I've never wasted so much money (and Blood, Sweat, & Tears) trying to make believe that my little Ram 3500 was honestly capable of hauling a 3800 pound camper.
Now even I'm confused... Its too much of a pig to be a decent grocery-getter, but its too anemic to properly haul my little camper.
meh. . .
I had a dually years back. They cant be parked. Not sure I want another one.😞
Hey @Jimmy N. if I buy a tandem can I hire you to give me "parking" lessons?

-Ej- 🍺

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
In the end, it is a heck of lot easier and cheaper to install the bags plumbed together.
You may save $3 on running less tubing, but have to spend more than that for the T.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
it took me all of an hour to install my bags with separate fill valves.
Did you have a lift handy or do it on the ground?? And, obviously, you have coil springs... Right?

I carry my hand-dandy 18v +1 Ryobi with me at all times on a road trip. It actually works pretty good. I also carry the impact and other assorted tools when I'm going to Michigan.

My buddy used a 'pig' on his valves. PITA these days. Not necessary. Not with the new battery operated inflators that actually, you know, work.

How you liking them so far??

1 - 20 of 46 Posts