Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I need some input. Thinking of going with 2011 2500 Mega cab and may want to pull a 5th wheel in the future. The GVWR will be in the 13900 range and about 37-38 ft. Could I pull this with the 2500? How big of a difference would be towing with 3500 DRW. Anyone pulling a 5th wheel with a 2500 mega cab. Thanks for all your input.

·
Administrator
7,072 Posts
Will it pull it safely? Yes. Will you be within the GVWR of your truck? No.

FWIW I have a 3500 SRW Mega, and tow a 15,500 5th wheel all summer. Been through everything from 10k mountain passes to Nevada desert. No problems. My biggest concern was making sure that my tires were rated for my axle load.

YMMV

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
The dually would give you a more stable tow experience (ie, 4 wheels instead of two on the rear axle). With the 4:10 rear end on the dually, you have a 24,500# GCWR. GVWR is 12,200#. This will allow a fairly heavy pin weight. Pin weight of my 5er is a little over 3000#. GVW of my 5er is 16,500#, but heaviest I've ever had it has been a little over 15,250#.

I believe the 2500 Mega Cab CTD will handle the 5er your asking about, but believe you'll be over your trucks GVWR, but possibly not the trucks RAWR, but not sure what the GVWR or GCWR of that truck is.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Once you pull with a DRW you won't want to go back to a single.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can certainly understand how a dually would be more stable to haul...but I would prefer a SRW for my daily driving. Is the difference between the two great enough for only pulling the 5er for 6 or 7 times a year. Any one out there using the 2500 mega with a 5er?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't forget to add the weight of everything you're taking into your gvw. I went with DRW for a 16000# 38ft 5er. This thing just goes where I point it w/out a shimmy, shake or sway.:party018:

·
Registered
33 Posts
i traded in my 05 3500 CC Long bed DRW for my 10 2500 CC Long bed SRW. Towing my 5th wheel was a breeze with the dually. I really don't like pulling the 5th wheel with the new truck, to much squat and not as much control. Duallys are the chit for towing/pulling. Also Im not to sure about pulling a 5th wheel with a short bed, you have to be careful when making tight turns. I think it kinda inhibits the overall manuverability of a 5th wheel set up. Duallys are sweet they handle way better than a SRW (except in the snow). I actually like the looks of a 3rd gen Dually more than 4th gen dually. Also it all depends on where you live, in the city dually's are a pain(narrow streets) but all trucks are really a pain in a city. I would never tow without a dually.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For the cost difference I'd get a 3500 over the 2500. I don't doubt a DRW being better but I have no issues with towing my 14k 5RV. I don't notice it back there other than the decreased fuel mileage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dually. Besides, I don't think the MPG difference is that huge from SRW to DRW. To a cummins, an extra 400 lbs is nothing. It helps so much to have the 2 xtra tires.

·
Registered
411 Posts
only towing 6-7 times a year id do a SRW. BUT there really isnt any comparison between SRW and DRW for towing.... the DRW IMO only falls short when buying tires, going to car wash, and going to the bank drivethrough...... other than that it is cherry

·
Registered
113 Posts
only towing 6-7 times a year id do a SRW. BUT there really isnt any comparison between SRW and DRW for towing.... the DRW IMO only falls short when buying tires, going to car wash, and going to the bank drivethrough...... other than that it is cherry
Dingin your fenders on the drive-thru...Haven't we all been there!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I tow what's in my sig with the truck in my sig I did put air bags on because I didn't like the squat but my SRW does just fine with no sway at all. I would look at a CC long bed instead of a mega cab though.

Tim

·
Registered
411 Posts
I tow what's in my sig with the truck in my sig I did put air bags on because I didn't like the squat but my SRW does just fine with no sway at all. I would look at a CC long bed instead of a mega cab though.

Tim
:agree2::agree2:

Long bed are the way to go for towing fifth wheel

and just for that extra space for anything else you want to put in the bed.

really the new CC are really not bad in the back at all plenty of room.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I pull my 35ft fifth wheel with my 2500 ccsb absolutely no problems. I have the sliding hitch but I don't use it I can jackknife the trailer and still have clearance. To each his own my brother pulled his fifth wheel across the country with mcsb no probs I can tell you I towed my camper with my fathers dually it was a noticeable difference in stability but it was also a f450 I would love a mcd but I have way to much money tied up in mine. Y

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Reactions: ktex

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can say working at a trailer fact a dw is safer in ride control high winds ,bad roads and also in case of a blow out I've seen truck with blow outs and trailers not good my .02$

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hello
I need some input. Thinking of going with 2011 2500 Mega cab and may want to pull a 5th wheel in the future. The GVWR will be in the 13900 range and about 37-38 ft. Could I pull this with the 2500? How big of a difference would be towing with 3500 DRW. Anyone pulling a 5th wheel with a 2500 mega cab. Thanks for all your input.
If you get a srw get yourself a 3500 and skip having to put air bags on a 2500 to solve your squat. I had 4000lbs of rock in the bed of my truck no long ago and it sat level. Those overloads really helped out, my buddies 2500 with the same load was squatting.

That being said I have towed with both a dually and a srw. If the vehicles main job is towing then drw is what you want. Srws are more convenient in town, main reason my current truck is an srw. I have never hauled a 5ver but i would think they are tongue heavy. You might consider looking at the trailers you think you will be interested in and seeing how much tongue weight they have loaded. If its more than 5000lbs i would get a drw just for tire safety.

edit: i notice less trailer "input" when i tow with a drw truck.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts