Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect to buy a new 3500 HO with aisin today. Only unresolved issue I have is srw or drw? Crew cab 8' bed, four wd, tradesman.

I will be towing up to 16000 lbs worth of a 1994 four star living quarter horse trailer, three horse. 37' overall length, 28' on floor.

I want the aisin transmission but have never had a drw and don't know if I will need that for stability on the highway or if the new srw 3500 will be as stable with that weight?.

Looking forward to thoughts on this.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Unless your pulling with the truck 80 plus percent of the time I say go srw. It will pull very good and you won’t have to deal with driving a dually and trying to park it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Unless your pulling with the truck 80 plus percent of the time I say go srw. It will pull very good and you won’t have to deal with driving a dually and trying to park it.
What if the other 20% of the time was pulling a trailer that had a pin weight that was too heavy for the SRW? :surprise: Would your answer be "when you unhitch, it'll be easy to park."

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Dually. A big boxy and substantial trailer like that and you will thank yourself the next time you hit a stiff crosswind on I-40 in Oklahoma, on I-10 over the Mississippi, or on the Roosevelt Mid-Hudson bridge. I'm sure other members will have their favorite places.

Yes, a dually is more work to live with. But once you get used to it, the only real hassles are the bank and fast food drive-thrus you have to avoid.

JMHO

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ive got a 3500 SRW and I tow about 13,500 +/- It handles that beautifully, and I could realistically see going about another 1K pounds or so max comfortably // Any more than that and I would want DRW. I feel with a 16K trailer you are solidly in DRW country. I wouldn't even look at a SRW.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think DillonJM asked the right question - the answer to which points the OP in the right direction. The replies favoring the DRW are of the sort get enough truck to do the job - (aka, no gun is too big) - hard to argue against that. But I think, by the very nature of the question the OP already knows that. The OP also knows he'd experience disadvantages to a DRW - what he needs to figure out is, in his case, is there a quality solution - quality meaning, "meets requirements". Personally, I advice the OP not yet jump on the DRW solution - he does not want a DRW if it is NOT necessary (too big a gun is sometimes left behind and you find yourself without a gun when you need one). OP's prior experience, which DillonJM asks about is relevant. If his prior truck was DRW, and he's wondering if it's practical to drop down to a SRW, it's likely marginal at best. If his prior truck was SRW and marginal, it is possible a new SRW would do the job .

So with all that ing - something totally unrelated scratched one of my nerves today - let me add another possibility. Very likely converting to 19.5" wheels would give him a SRW truck without the negatives of a DRW, and seems to me a pretty good option/solution/improvement/backup plan to make the SRW fit the job 100% of the time, without having to drive a DRW 100% of the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you read the other thread similar to this, I'm on the SRW side of things, would only buy a DRW if I absolutely needed it. It just depends...do you need the payload that the DRW offers? nlol and DillonJM have the best feedback above...

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Until the OP states the pin weight of his 37' LQ 3H trailer, I'm going to guess that a DRW will be required.
Having pulled some of those before for customers, I can guarantee ya that the pin weight can get brutal fassssttttttt when loaded up, due to the trailer axles being so far rearward.

But, then again......I’m just a dumb ol’ truck driver.:grin2:
@Jimmy N.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Having pulled some of those before for customers, I can guarantee ya that the pin weight can get brutal fassssttttttt when loaded up, due to the trailer axles being so far rearward.

But, then again......I’m just a dumb ol’ truck driver.:grin2:
@Jimmy N.
Yep, if that horse trailer looks like that, your pin weight is going to limit out an SRW pretty quick. I get away towing 22,000# goose necks with with heavy equipment on them with a SRW because the axles on the trailer are far enough forward that I can center the machinery over the trailer axles and get my pin weight down to 3000#, which is o.k. with my spec'd Tradesman.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Dang, Brockman, that trailer is at least 5 feet longer than mine, and likely heavily optioned, too. No pun intended.

Having the axles back where they belong sure makes it tow nicely, but, I wouldn't want to try pulling it with a SRW.
One of these days I should find out how much weight it puts on the drive axle. It's a lot, that I do know.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,841 Posts
The desire to under-buy these trucks is certainly a strong one. Even though this is a SRW or dually question it Helps me understand the massive popularity of the 3/4 ton class trucks and how frequently the are purchased and used when a one-ton would have been the better choice.

According to the OP’s post the truck has already been purchased.
I hope he reports back with a follow-up and a few pics of his new truck (with trailer attached).

Keep us posted Montana and good luck with the new truck. :thumbsup:

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Dang, Brockman, that trailer is at least 5 feet longer than mine, and likely heavily optioned, too. No pun intended.

Having the axles back where they belong sure makes it tow nicely, but, I wouldn't want to try pulling it with a SRW.
One of these days I should find out how much weight it puts on the drive axle. It's a lot, that I do know.
If you look hard enough.....you can tell that this one has one slide out under the awning. There was another slide out on the opposite side, for a total of two. Ol’ White Lightning handled this one with ease, as it was a brand new unit ($75,692 invoice) and was dry but I could see it getting way out of RAWR on a few trucks.

32’3” floor and 40’3” overall length, 4 horsey, electric jacks, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
32’3” floor and 40’3” overall length, 4 horsey, electric jacks, blah blah blah.
Hmm, it looked longer. That's only 2'3" more than mine.
Thankfully, mine is void of slide-outs and such. It's almost hard to find trailers without them these days.

But, I can put many, many horses in the 20' garage.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts