Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well everyone, I finally had the weather last sunday to put our custom fuel system on the truck. Went pretty smooth.

SRE Custom Fuel System:
Vulcan Draw Straw
3/8 Marine Diesel Fuel Line
Racor 460R Fuel Filter Water Separator(60gph 10micron, 90gph 15micron filter cartridge available(490R)
Holley Black Fuel Pump, 120gph @ 9psi (rated)
Vulcan Full Flow Fitting.

Price: roughly $210

Here are some (sorry, a bit dark) pics of it installed:

The Filter:

The Pump:

Both:

What you can see from the outside:

All in all, it took about 5 hrs, including lunch :popcorn:

RESULTS:
At first, pressure was 15psi, dropped to 4 under WOT, but as the air got worked out of the filter, as my brother drove to work this morning, he made a drastic discovery, the guage was pegged over past 15, dropping 1/2 a psi under WOT! :woot:

Im going to turn the pump pressure down, it has the flow, no reason to have all that pressure, its just going to wear out the springs in the pump that hold the valve shut in there when its under 15 psi, my worries: they wont close, and it will drain the fuel from the pump when it needs it, but maybe thats just me.

- Neil

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some clearer pics:

This thing is allready starting to collect sediment in the bottom of the filter bowl, im rather impressed!

·
Registered
191 Posts
what was the max psi he reached?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well like I said, the guage was pegged over, but that pump just died on us, so we picked up a replacement from summit for 80 bucks and its forking great. The last one seized a main bearing and scored the shaft, like it got some sort of debris in the oil groove of the bearing and it just locked up one day, wouldnt even start. If I needed to, I could limp the truck home with minimal IP damage, with the primer button you see on top of the fuel filter, I can pump the system up to 10 psi, and I suppose you could stop every so often and re pump it up.

But anyways, the new pump and spring setup has the guage at an estimated 18 psi at idle and around 14-13 WOT. The thing just flows a ton of fuel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
good deal man :thumbsup . i just finished shopin for my new fuel system and i was gonna go with the holly black then found this 140 gph. im fixin to get one of the monster pumps and wanted to keep the line psi 15 min and 20 max

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
The high pressure cooks the bearings, especially in the knock off pumps(cheaper components).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I figured, in fact im gonna go and drop the pressure a bit so the guage doesnt peg over when you first fire the truck up, I figure 15 at idle, 10 at WOT oughtta be good, and thats at the pump, without banjo fittings, so lotsa flow there.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
No less than 8 psi at wot will be ok :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
I concurr :agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn salesmen.... but its true, thats why I researched what to get, I just didnt know about that pump. Its also pretty versatile, I can put any pump I want back there, whether it be a walbro or aeromotive a1000.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
sorry, we are biased.......:rof

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hahaha, j/p.

I didnt want to spend 800 dollars on a fuel system, thats why I did what I did, and spent under $300

·
Registered
191 Posts
id absolutley love to have a fass but dont cant get this money tree to bloom...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah ide either have that or the eliminator pump and custom lines, but hell, Im not a surgeon, I cant justify that for a fuel system, some of these are getting so expensive it would almost be cheaper to just replace a damn injection pump lol...

But soon the truck will be 12v and we wont have to worry about all this..

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Come on now the Eliminator is way less than $800.00. $300.00 plus all the running and figuring, not to mention installing it, and figuring all that out........

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I thought it was like $600, how much for just the pump?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hey where did you get the power for the pump? just off the stock lift pump supply?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup, took the pigtail off the motor and cut the lift pump end off it and after finding out which wire is the hot and which is the ground, soldered em up, and ran 14g wire back to the pump.

In a year or so, we are going to have to find a new pump setup to support a 700hp 12v that we are building up to put in here... 120gph at 10 psi isnt going to cut it.. Im looking at an aeromotive A1000 or something like that, but needs to hold up to daily driving.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts