Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a little input. I now have a loud squeal, more like a scream, when I get on it and accelerate hard. I hit 2100rpm and it screams. I back off and it goes away. If I drive normal it’s not present. This was not an issue prior to the overhaul/replacement of the following parts:

front crank seal
Harmonic balancer
Alternator
Fan clutch, pulley and drive
Water pump
Thermostat
Coolant hoses
Radiator
Belt tensioner
Belt
Exhaust turbo to tip, Magnaflow cat and MBRP cat back

Everything was installed and torqued down factory spec. belt is on correctly, I’ve rechecked this several times. Pulleys do not appear to be out of alignment. No wobble is noticed. Everything looks normal at idle in the driveway. It’s fine until I jump on the throttle more than gently. Turbo sounds fine when spooling up and winding down. any ideas?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I’m looking for a little input. I now have a loud squeal, more like a scream, when I get on it and accelerate hard. I hit 2100rpm and it screams. I back off and it goes away. If I drive normal it’s not present.
Hmm, that sounds exactly like what my Hellcat does. Did you get too much power from that exhaust tip, maybe?

·
Trying to learn
5,838 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge to see what is going on there?

What year truck?

Reactions: rghavana

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts
Truck info?
Why did you replace all those parts? and what brand ?
Only in gear?, safely put truck up in air and run it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s an 05, 3500. No boost gauge. It’s odd that the noise wasn’t present prior to replacing everything. Most parts were OEM factory replacements

·
Trying to learn
5,838 Posts
Can you try to pinpoint what area the noise is?

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I be run it with no belt. No problems. I’m having a hard time even getting a general idea of where it’s coming from as I can get the noise to show without heavy acceleration. It will not do it in park or in drive standing on the brakes in the driveway.

I replaced all of the parts simply because it was time. Some of them were going, others because they had 140k on them and they were being removed subsequent to replacing the front main seal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is your belt tensioner nice and tight if it's not holding enough presure on the belt it will squeal under a hard load

·
Trying to learn
5,838 Posts
It's in his list of new parts installed.

·
Registered
950 Posts
So if you run it without the belt, you get no squeal??? If so, did you change the idler pulley under the upper rad hose?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine has done that ever since I replaced my a/c compressor. It only kicks out a high pitch noise when a/c or defrost is running!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
950 Posts
Mine has done that ever since I replaced my a/c compressor. It only kicksnout a high pitch noise when a/c or defrost is running!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This is another possibility. The compressor does kick out on full throttle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does it sound like a belt squeal but not quite? Does it change with RPM all the way up the river range or does it just hit that 2000 mark and maintain and not change a whole lot past that? It certainly could be in the bag of parts you just installed. I had to replace a belt that was only a couple years old because it developed a intermittent squeal at idle which is the first time I’ve ever seen that happen before.

But The reason I asked the questions that I did is because an exhaust leak between the manifold and the turbo sounds almost like a belt squeal. An individual cylinder leak on the manifold sounds like a bad injector or lifter tick, but between the turbo and the manifold it sounds very very similar to a belt squeal. I just had to machine the manifold flange and turbo flange to solve my leak issues that created a belt squeal like sound last week. I replaced just the turbo gasket, and that lasted about a week and a half before I started leaking again. Perhaps I had a erosion in there, but the turbo was .012” and the manifold was .007” in order to get everything flat.

With the truck cold and idling, get a spray bottle with a squirt of dish soap and mostly water. Spray down the entire exhaust manifold and turbine housings. You’ll find out really quick if you have any leaks anywhere, it’ll start bubbling like crazy if you do. It won’t work with the manifold hot though, truck has to be fairly cold.

·
Vendor
8,294 Posts
Did you check the turbo for side/side play and contact with the compressor housing?

·
Vendor
8,294 Posts
Checking side to side play on the turbo and contact of the compressor wheel on the housing is for anyone who has squealing turbo under moderate to heavy acceleration. Better to find it early before turbo damage is excessive and aluminum dust is inhaled on the engine.

Reactions: WaterTrash
1 - 20 of 28 Posts