Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i put my truck into rev. I hear a squeaking noise like the shocks or something. Its pretty loud and noticable and i cant figure out what it could. But this only does it when i am backing up in Reverse Gear?? I slap it into neutral when im moving and it Stops? i dont get it? Guys what could it be?

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really, i thought it would be something else because it was just happening in reverse gear. But i could try that. how do i go about changing U joints??

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
1. Find out which u-joint it is. Chock the truck and put it in neutral. Wiggle the driveshaft and look for freeplay in any of the joints. While you're doing it, you might as well change them all on whatever shaft has the bad joint.
2. Remove said driveshaft.
3. You'll need a torch or another source of heat. Heat up the yoke and you'll see a bunch of plastic come oozing out. After all the plastic is out, use a press or a bench vise to press the old joints out.
4. Clean yoke of any remaining plastic/rust/other crap.
5. Install new ujoint with the press/vise.
6. Grease ujoints
7. Reinstall driveshaft.

·
Registered
158 Posts
definitely the ujoints. I just replaced mine and it was making them same noise. goodluck Fixing them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
wow this sucks to see because i couldnt figure out why mine was squeaking either...dangit

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Don't worry, the u-joints are cheap and this is a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
117 Posts
mine were 42 a piece and i have 3 of them since its a 2wd

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
mine were 42 a piece and i have 3 of them since its a 2wd
What Ujoints are you buying bud?? That is what the front knuckle on a 4x4 cost. These are about $12-25 depending on what you go with.

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
I put Spicers in mine and I think they were 22 a piece.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Presicion bought them at oriellys I've always ran precision I guess that why I bought them. They got a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was hearing the same squeek on mine. I've been thinking it was the brakes for the last week or so. After seeing this thread i checked the joints and found the problem. Sure enough its a U-joint. Thanks Guys.......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts