Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brakes squeak like a *******. Pedal feels solid, no pulsing or vibrating. Does it more in town then it does coming off the highway. Ive heard if the back of the pads dont have enough grease on them they will squeal, anything else i should check?

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Squeaky brakes usually mean the pads are too hard.
Lifetime free replacement pads are notorious for this.
They will wear out your rotors. Check if the rotors are wearing and swap pads, hopefully it's not too late and the rotors aren't trashed.

I use a product called Disc Brake Quiet every time I install pads.
All it really is is high temp silicone that you bead on the back of the pad and let dry before installing.
I figure it's cheap insurance in case pads squeak. If your rotors seem fine try it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do i tell if the rotors are wearing? i feel dumb for even asking that, but is there a minimum thickness or something? or will there be scarring on the rotor face?

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
how do i tell if the rotors are wearing? i feel dumb for even asking that, but is there a minimum thickness or something? or will there be scarring on the rotor face?
They will wear into the rotor where the pads ride. You can feel a drop in the thickness of the rotor by dragging your fingernail across the rotor. As it progresses you'll eventually be able to see the low area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
what year is it? check your fluid. Check for brake fluid or ive seen axle seals leak 80/90W into the rear breaks and cause a sqeak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts