Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just swapped a 92 12v into an 88 crew cab Chevy, motor runs good and starts easy, but when you try to rev it up it sputters and won't take the fuel, it pops and smokes alot???? It ran fine in the Dodge??? The pump has been played with. Someone suggested the fuel pump could be bad? I can post a video of the truck so you guys have a better idea what I mean.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Check your fuel pressure at the pump. Are you using the stock lift pump?? Did you remove the intank fuel sock?? Diesel doesn't like to be pulled through them and they can create the problem your describing. I'd check the pressure to make sure it was a fuel problem, then pull the tank and remove the sock if you haven't already. If you have, then you could have a plugged fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
did you mess with throttle? i did and it did what sounds like that one is doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you mess with throttle? i did and it did what sounds like that one is doing.
What do you mean by "mess with the throttle"?

The truck was originally a 6.2 GM diesel, does it still have a sock in the tank? also it has a mechanical pump on the motor, would a electric lift pump mounted closer to the tank help? It ran good in the Dodge truck, so the pumps mods should still work ok while it is in the Chevy???

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
like on the fuel pump where the throttle linkage is. if you mess with the indexing it will do that

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
did you mes with the timing? sounds liek it needs advanced alot. in the cold mine used to do that with alot of white and grey smoke, till i advanced the timeing 1/8
" past teh stock timing mark.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
could just be some air in the lines still?
sometimes these engines wont rev up right when their cold, or at least mine dont. if i race the engine when it has been running for less than a minute or two and less than 40 degrees it will pop, splutter ectect...(not something i do with any regularity, btw. i noticed it first one day at school i jumped into the old 91 and tried to move it when it had froze to the ground)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It still does it when its up to operating temp too, I don't think he adjusted the timing, gonna take a look at the the fuel tank pick up and will probably use an electric pump too, the Dodge had tiny fuel lines from the tank to the motor, he used larger stell lines for fuel lines instead of those tiny plastic lines that were factory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts