Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 3500 heavy duty Quad 6.7
hooking up a 10.000 lb 5 th wheel with 2000 lb pin weight would it be wise to invest in air lift springs or any spring helpers.I am new to pulling a 5th wh.
tis is not a drw truck

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
With that light of a trailer and pin weight, you should be fine as it is. Being a 3500, it should have helpers on it from the factory.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That shouldn't be an issue at all. My camper weighs in at 17,500 with some water in the tanks for dry camping and I towed the first few trips w/o airbags. I hooked to a 31ft regular 5th wheel (not a toy hauler) and the truck didn't even know it was back there compared to my heavy rig. I didn't even blow the bags up beyond the the 5psi minimum.

Tow it for a while and if you don't like the way it sits spend the few hundred dollars and put the air bags on it. I like my bags and when I tow the camper I only put between 30 and 40PSI depending on how much water I end up carrying. Everything rides level at that point. Honestly, It towed great without the air bags but I kept getting flashed because of my lights and I wanted to be able to shift some weight back up to the front end by leveling back out. Seems to have worked great for me. I have towed nearly 4k miles this year and it just sits up and rides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts