Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, last weekend i got bored and wanted to my make my truck smoke more. (not every day driver). so i took the spring out of my afc and heated it up and srounk the spring a little bit. i got some more smoke out of it like i wanted but was wondering what happens if i just leave the spring out? Would it hurt the engine in any way? Cause runaway? loppy idle? Im just looking to show up my buddy with the powerjoke and the 24v lol

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
The AFC is a pump add-on. It is used for the automotive application and some industrial. It limits full fuel under low boost condtions. If you look at it from a peformance perspective, it limits full fuel potential.

The spring can be removed or replaced with another. The smoke screw can then be adjusted (likely replaced with a slightly longer screw) to set the fuel control cone at the bottom which would keep the cone profile set to the max deapth position in register with the fuel pin that rides into it/against it.

There are other methods of modification(s), the above is only part of one chapter.

You can remove the AFC altogether from the pump's function if desired. This would require removal of the pump top and modifying internals of the pump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so jsut removing the spring and maxing out the smoke sw to the deepest seting would give a nice up grade? if i were to remove the afc from my pump would the fuel pin still be there or ??? what would i take out of it to gut it?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
No, you don't really "gut it". You can remove the lever that operates against it (reverse lever inside the pump) or you could get a different pump top. The fuel pin inside the top has fuel pressure surrounding it so the fuel control cone is a stop to prevent that pin from comming out too far, resulting in a fuel leak. An O ring is inside the bore that little pin sets in and if the pin moves too far it will expose the o ring seal. Thus diesel will fill the AFC bore/ control cone area, and leak out the air vent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts