Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story but i'll try to sum up best as possible. one cold morning it wouldnt start (dont worry i plugged it in that night). sounded like starter was out, b/c ive replaced it twice so i know the sound. Replaced that, still wouldnt start, so i put two new batteries, and fuel filter. Still wouldn't start, so I bled the lines, still nothing. Called my uncle and we used the spray, and now that is the only way to get it started. Starting to think its fuel pump, but this is my first diesel so im not to sure, need and experienced owner's opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
get the codes read and expect a 0216 possibly...

or it could just be that your lift pump is bad

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lift pump is the same as fuel pump right? lol
i know i sound like an idiot

·
Registered
332 Posts
just by the way, if the truck can turn over, it has the potential to start. these motors are capable of really slow cranking and then starting. just fyi so you dont spend so much money in the future.

how cold was it? did it stay running with spray?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats the thing is that it will start with spray. and it runs good and hard when it is finally running.

it was about 40 degress probably

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
no, there's a low pressure lift pump that takes fuel from the tank to the high pressure injection pump that injects the fuel into the injectors...the low pressure pump will cost from around 100 bucks if you buy a stock replacement to 600 for a top of the line one w/ built in filter and water separator...the injection pump will run you from 1000 to 1500 plus core depending where ya get it from

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
buy yes, either way, get the codes first

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sounds like what happend to me. My Injection pump went bad. Your IP has a pump in it and should still start, but not run well, even without your lp working.
When your using starting fluid, make sure you use WD-40 or diesel safe starting fluid.
Your grid heater could ignite the incoming starting fluid and blow up your intercooler.
I hope this helps. JJ

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only thing when it's running is that when its going from 1st to 2nd, if i step on it a little it will lag and fight to get to 2nd. but once it shifts its fine, its an auto btw. but ya im taking it to dodge on fri to see if they can pull codes, i cant do the key trick b/c its a 99'

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
Dodge is gonna charge you more to pull codes than if you bought a cheap OBDII code reader! Also a lot of autoparts stores will lend you the code reader for free (hoping to sell you parts). I've seen OBDII code readers as cheap as $60 and we get hosed here in Canada for electronics.

Couple of things:

If you're mechanically inclined and can work on your own truck, DO IT! I've heard of dealerships charging $3500 round trip on an injection pump! You can buy it for about $1000 and about $500 for an excellent lift pump and do the work yourself and still have money left over for injectors if you wanted!

If the APPS needs replacement, google Timbo APPS - it's $160 and WAY CHEAPER but WAY BETTER than OEM! That's a 1/2 hour install for you.

But whatever you do, before throwing money at the problem, come here and ask questions, chances are your problem has been seen and solved cheaper than any mechanic is gonna rape you for.

All the best and welcome to the forum. Click on the link in my signature for a wealth of information and knowledge in regards to our trucks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just so you know, as everyone knows starting fluid is bad on these motors. If you've used it a lot and like you say you need it to start it every time, you could become "ether dependant" which is bad. Using ether if used improperly causes pre combustion in the cylinder which expands the rings on the piston causing you to lose compression in the cylinder. Which in turn causes harder and harder starts as we all know due to the fact that these motors need combustion to burn the fuel. The only way you should use starting fluid is while the motor is turning and smoke is coming out of the exhaust. This shows that there is fuel being sprayed in the cylinder which dilutes the amount of starting fluid that is in the cylinder giving it enough to help start but not enough to cause damage.

If you spray directly into the intake you can cause ignition in the manifold if you don't disconnect your grid heater, and if you spray it without the motor turning it can pre ignite in the cylinder causing the head to separate, rods to bend, valves to break, you name it.

Just a little fyi :)

As far as the problem, what is your fuel pressure? You need a guage to monitor it at all times because anything less than 10psi is causing damage to the injection pump. If it has no pressure and you start it with ether, the IP will pull fuel from the tank through the lift pump which is extremely damaging to the internals of the IP. I can almost guarantee you do not have enough fuel pressure and it has caused your injection pump to fail either due to a broken diaprham in the IP or worn out internals.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Oh geeze another Cummins hooked on the ether, humorous right there. Guess I'm not in the know.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I heard the "whoosh" as that went over my head... :confused013: :S:

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Ether doesn't hurt a thing, unless the grids are on, or so much is sprayed in that it stays fluid in the cylinder and washes the cylinder down. Goal is to get the vapor into the combustion chamber to assist firing. Like anything else when used properly it does good, used improperly it can cause damage.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Tell that to the mechanics here at work that are replacing a head on one of our units. What happened to it? The guy trying to start it pulled the air filter off and sprayed a $hit ton of ether into the intake manifold. What happened when he tried to start it? Very little air and all that ether made it into the cylinders. Pre ignited in the cylinder before the piston made it to the top of it's revolution. Separated the head from the block and bent two connecting rods.

So ether doesn't hurt anything? Not true if used wrong like you said. But if you do it right yes you want it in the cylinder, but you only spray it with the motor cranking so it gets mixed with diesel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts