Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a truck from Dave Smith Motors and wonder if their spray in bed liners compare to LineX or Rhono X?

Anyone have one from DS?

Any good?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Personally Like my Fold-A-Covers I am on the second personal truck with LineX. The people I get then done at have been great and it holds up just fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i like rhino myself. They do an excellent job for a good price.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I've have no issuses with a LineX , I haul my snowmobile in and out of the truck and it dont ever leave a scrach in the liner

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dave Smith thru in a spray in liner in my truck to close the deal. It's an alright liner, although I have some company trucks with LineX that seems to be better. Pulling my snowmobile out of my truck this winter chipped a couple pieces off at the edge of the tailgate.
Overall it did not cost me anything so I'm happy with it. Much better than the plastic type or nothing at all!

Andy

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sprayed in liners are the way to go, and if you can get it for free even better. I have Rhino, only thing within 200 miles of me. It has worked well. I am sure it is a similar product they use and I would bet you won't have much of an issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I had my first liner sprayed in on my F**d I chose the Line-X (polyurethane hybrid ) because of the rougher texture and no-slide property, the "shiny" smoother Polyurethane like the Rhino (there are variations on the quality of this to) is not much better at holding your goods in place than those ridiculous drop-in plastic liners, stuff be slidi'n around on every turn. My Dodge had the liner sprayed on when I got it (Bullhide -Polyurethane) and I'm not as thrilled with it as I was of my Line-X, it doesn’t seem to be as durable as my old Line-X either. They both have a lifetime warranty but that would seem to be a waste of time if you have to go back on a regular basis to get one fixed.
I will try one made with "Polyurea" next time as it is supposed to be even better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got a Rhino liner in mine that's about 10 years old and have had no problems. No chips, gouges or anything. I've seen others with LineX and they look just as good.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I like my Turboliner better then the other two companies. DS sprayed two for me and held up great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What can be used to get the spray on liner overspray off the paint. I found a pretty good patch of it on my paint after i got home, hate to take the time to go back to them. I already tried enamel thinner with negative results. Anybody know what will take it off and leave the paint/clearcoat on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased my truck from DS with the Turboliner in 12/07. So far, I'm happy with it. I made sure there was a local Turboliner dealer before I had it done in case I have problems with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had Line-X put in my truck over the rails. Have had both in previous trucks and the Line-X holds up much better.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had a Rhino liner in my 04 truck and after dripping oil an gas from my dirt bike and the hot Arizona sun, the Rhino faded and you could see spots in the bed. We have Line-X in our trucks at work (Border Patrol) and we abuse trucks & beds like you can't believe. The Line-X holds up and doesn't fad. I bought the Line-X for my personal truck and like it alot. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
The linex brand is high pressure polyurea and the rhino is a urethane mix low pressure the difference is the strenght of the material.
We spray linex and the other companies that have similar products are using what is called hibrid material meaning it has a lot of filler materials that are mixed in the chemical and this will reduce the strength of your bedliner.
There are many out there that claim to be the real deal but only two that I know of to be the real deal.
2 cents from a guy who sprays liners everyday.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Line-x > rhino IMHO. I have had both...way happier with the line-x

What can be used to get the spray on liner overspray off the paint. I found a pretty good patch of it on my paint after i got home, hate to take the time to go back to them. I already tried enamel thinner with negative results. Anybody know what will take it off and leave the paint/clearcoat on?
Clay bar...talk to your local auto parts guy. Meguires makes a clay bar kit, its about $30 and it should do the trick. Its a medium grade clay which should be sufficient.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my truck From Dave Smith back in mid-Feb 08. I had them do the Turbo liner with a Cap-cut. So far, I'm happy. I've thrown a lot of junk in and out of the bed and it's held up great. Then again....it's only 2 months old!!

·
Banned
275 Posts
All Sprayed in Bedliner companies get the product from the same place...there is only one company that makes the material...From there only a handfull of companies add their own fibers to it...LINE-X being one of those...The fibers determine if its a little stronger(not much difference), and if it has UV protection...The fading can be fixed with a little armor-all...as for the "texture" it has nothing to do with the material, its how its sprayed in...You can ask for more or less texture depending on what you like.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
All Sprayed in Bedliner companies get the product from the same place...there is only one company that makes the material...From there only a handfull of companies add their own fibers to it...LINE-X being one of those...The fibers determine if its a little stronger(not much difference), and if it has UV protection...The fading can be fixed with a little armor-all...as for the "texture" it has nothing to do with the material, its how its sprayed in...You can ask for more or less texture depending on what you like.

You are correct about the texture I can make it heavy or light but as far as the chemical there are several companies that make the components for bed liner materials and the are not all the same, the fiber is a filler in most bedliner mixtures and plugs up the screen filters in the machine and causes the loss of atomization wich leads to uneven mixture and bubbles in hibrid materials.
If you use a straight polyurea material there is no fiber fillers.
The filler is not what gives it its strength your not spraying fiberglass its a plural component meaning you will use the exact same amount of component A and component B and when sprayed the polyurea will have what is called exothermic reaction.
The ISOCYANATE in the mixture is what determines the strength its the hardner in the mixture and the cuase of the reaction.
When you mix to many fillers in it it will cause problems with the reaction.
There are a few major chemical companies like Bayer,DOW,and LIONDELL that actually make the ISOCYANATE but there are hundredes of companies trying to mix formulas to make more money by selling cheaper chemical.
As the old saying goes cheaper is not always better.
I didnt mean anything here to be disrespectfull so if it came across that way I apologize in advance.
Shane

1 - 20 of 22 Posts