Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here.

My turbo doesn't seem to really get moving until around 2200 rpm and then the truck takes off - in 5th this is about 65mph or so. When shifting through the gears, by the time the turbo spools and gets moving for each gear, its time for the next gear - I'd like it to spool up faster or at a lower rpm to have a more even acceleration across board. Any thoughts? As far as I know, the truck is stock and tuned correctly - uh, by correctly I mean to factory specs, not "correctly" like in here.

·
Registered
736 Posts
here is a link to some easy mods for the pump......gauges are really a necessity when ya start changing fuel. pyrometer at the very least. these motors will put out a LOT of power but ya gotta keep a good eye on what they are doing.
CumminsDatabase.com :: Turning Up A P7100 Pump

·
Registered
69 Posts
mine is the same way. I gotta get some gauges

·
Registered
69 Posts
ok so mines all stock. I dont think the previous owner messed with the pump, or starwheel adjustment. It doesnt smoke at all. Would i be better off just getting a TST plate rather than messing with my stock one. Also can you just adjust the starwheel too without messing with the plate?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn't buy a plate just grind yours to what you want, there is a plug on top of the AFC housing with an allen head in it, take the plug and get a screwdriver and back it off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
you mean turn it towards the motor??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drunk on Diesel,

By "crank up the fuel" I think you mean turn start wheel toward engine. If I do a GSK, do I also have to worry about the valve springs?

·
Registered
69 Posts
ok i removed the allen plug, marked the adjuster with a red paint marker, turned it like 6 or 7 clicks towards the motor. drove it, it accelerated better, didnt really smoke. turned it like 10 or 12 more, better acceleration, revs faster, spools faster, doesnt really smoke, but i can it smokes more than it did. so how far can you adjust it? have i gone to far? i cant see my paint mark either, it either went away, or i havent went a full rotation yet but it seems like i have.:confused013:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GSK = Governor Springs Kit - google "gsk diesel" and you'll find some places that sell them and have info about what they do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
heres how mines set... the startwheel is as far forward as itll go... the plate is ground completely flat ( straight ) whatever you wanna call it.. its slid all the way forward and the AFC housing itself too is all the way forward... doing that i got a good bit of smoke and the turbo spooled like lightning... really fast... do that and i think youll be pretty happy...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grnkawi,

with a setup like that, isn't it important to watch Exhaust Gas Temps? I would be afraid to do that without having the guages and enough knowledge to make me just beyond dangerous :turbo:

TV

·
Registered
736 Posts
Grnkawi,

with a setup like that, isn't it important to watch Exhaust Gas Temps? I would be afraid to do that without having the guages and enough knowledge to make me just beyond dangerous :turbo:

TV
yep yer askin for trouble if ya dont watch the egt's
stock turbo and exhaust with a 0 plate (which is what a flat grind is) will get real toasty. over 1250 for long and pistons melt.Dont be to shy with just turnin the starwheel and getting some smoke on takeoff tho, it just ups the preboost fuel, once the turbo starts makin boost the the boost pressure negates the afc anyhow. here is a plate profile chart. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/a...5-fuel-plate-profiles-nc-plateprofiles0ny.jpg

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
spend an hour and grind your own plate, that way youll save that 200 or so bucks. I suggest a #10 plate, that way you dont have to watch the temps as closely if you tow.

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
ThirstyValves... just out of curiosity, you do have the HX35W on your truck correct.
The reason I ask is that even my truck at stock levels with the HX35W spooled up a lot sooner than 2200rpm and thats with 3ìnch muffled exhaust even.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stupid Productions,

I do have the HX35W and its nothing impressive before 2200...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
50 clicks and doing better...

I adjusted the star wheel about 50 clicks towards the motor and it is doing much, much better - exactly as was said :headbang:

I am still not showing a lot of smoke off the line but I haven't tested at highway speeds yet.

This was a fleet truck before I got it and I think they tuned the star wheel all the way over (away from the motor) to conserve fuel. I can now tell how anemic it was compared to now.

All, thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts