Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please someone help ibought a dtech 62/65/12 from a buddy of mine that was running on a p-pump 24v, spooled perfect for him. put that turbo on my truck with 351 style downpipe and new boost hoses. can NOT get this turbo to light at all can get a lil from a heavy kick from a stop but lugging while converter is locked it will never boost. please and help or info be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
That turbo with those injectors and the edge chip should have the truck jumping out of it's skin. The 12cm housing is the same as stock so thats not the issue. You sure you don't have a huge boost leak somewhere?.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That turbo with those injectors and the edge chip should have the truck jumping out of it's skin. The 12cm housing is the same as stock so thats not the issue. You sure you don't have a huge boost leak somewhere?.
Agreed! You have a major boost leak or a rag jammed in your air-to-air piping that you forgot about. That turbo should light quite easily!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boost

ive pressure checked air to air, boots and piping all checked okand no rags left in it. i can get it to light with high rpm's and it will hit 42 psi. but it takes a long time and like i said cant get it to light at all trying to lug it. iv noticed with my tuner on level 0 (stock) it will spool faster than it does throwing fuel to it. DAP told me i need more timing. Diesel power source said im chocking it out. and CPP told me its the wrong turbo for my setup

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Are you getting a lot of black smoke?.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah a ton thats all it will do is smoke a 6 lane road out for however long i press the skinny pedal and its a billet triple disk farely new. i will also note that with my o/d off it will spool better, guess cause engine is wound up more... im stumped i figured the kinda fuel i was pushing it should light like crazy

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
tried your box on economy mode?

·
President of the 509
7,266 Posts
Not your issue, but what to you mean by he351 style downpipe ? The 4.4" flange?

Have you checked for DP leaks? Is your wastegate stuck open? Try wiring it shut and see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got it fixed late last night took turbo back off and pulled inspection plate to reveal the wastegate flaps. found the t-bar that held the two flaps was bent and keeping them from sealing off thus loosing al my drive pressure. fixed all the bent pieces and re-adjusted wastegate, she spools like a stocker with lil effort. thanks for the info guys:shock:

·
President of the 509
7,266 Posts
got it fixed late last night took turbo back off and pulled inspection plate to reveal the wastegate flaps. found the t-bar that held the two flaps was bent and keeping them from sealing off thus loosing al my drive pressure. fixed all the bent pieces and re-adjusted wastegate, she spools like a stocker with lil effort. thanks for the info guys:shock:
What's my prize for guessing correctly? :hehe:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
next question is... an exhaust manifold going to benifet any? and my bro is running a pusher intake with kick pipe will that help me out any in my setup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how much would a good size hamilton cam and supporting valve springs and retainers help im looking to get around the 600 hp range and advice on where to go from the setup i have

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so that should be the next big step i take? and how much would that benefit me

·
President of the 509
7,266 Posts
I think the cam is a waste unless you plan on running a larger single. I'd recommend saving for twins and valvesprings

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
at this point i would do head studs and a marine head gasket and then turn the boost up to about 50-55 psi. then 60# or 110# valve springs and HD push rods. After that you can do an S475 and/or water meth....

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
at this point i would do head studs and a marine head gasket and then turn the boost up to about 50-55 psi. then 60# or 110# valve springs and HD push rods. After that you can do an S475 and/or water meth....
110# springs. don't even bother with 60# springs on a 24v

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.