Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched but haven't seen much so it's easier to just ask.

I have a 04.5 stock 2500 that I just put 35" tires on. (35x12.50.17) I want to get my speedometer calibrated but don't know my options. Alot of guys talk about a smarty and bully dog and then the 06 and later modles are different.

I don't want to mess with much so what is the best rout? Should I go to the dealership and have them calibrate it or can they even do that for 35 s:confused013:

Is there an easy way like stopping at an AutoZone and borowing something then changing a tire size in my computer? I wouldn't think this would be difficult...:banghead:

Thanks in advance for the advice...

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Easiest/cheapest is a buddy with a Smarty.

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
i have the same problem with my35's. could a tire store perform this??

·
Registered
374 Posts
The smarty has to be vin locked to the truck to change the speedo, I'm not sure but i believe once you return it to stock the speedo reverts back to stock tire size. I've never tried it so i may be wrong.

Could always just buy a smarty then you get more power to spin those 35's faster.:thumbsup:

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
yea i know its all controled by the ecm but i was'nt sure if tire stores recalibrated them on a regular basis? is the're any other programer that can do it without being vin locked

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
The smarty has to be vin locked to the truck to change the speedo, I'm not sure but i believe once you return it to stock the speedo reverts back to stock tire size. I've never tried it so i may be wrong.

Could always just buy a smarty then you get more power to spin those 35's faster.:thumbsup:
Ill go try it right now. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Ok, I cant right now. But I talked to someone last weeke who is way more knowledgable about this I am and he says the tire size stays.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not saying your wrong cause I'm really not sure myself, but if that's the case then they really can't claim it's undetectable because a dealer would or could easily detect that.

EDIT Back on topic: I believe the dealer can do it, again not sure never tried. I know a place like autozone can't or won't. They won't even clear trouble codes if you ask them.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
The dealer can update the ABS for tire size. I don't know if they can tell if a dealer did or not. Im sure if you leave it changed, they can tell. But can they tell how it was changed? I dont know. Im sure someone who knows will chime in.

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
great now im afraid what the dealer will charge to recalibrate it

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts

No the abs stays the same even when u go back to stock unless u tell it different. i put 35s on my truck updated the abs, then we put my old 33s on my buddies truck and I reverted mine back to stock with the smarty then loaded a tune on his, changed his tire size, unloaded it, put it back on mine and when i checked the abs tire size on my truck after i reloaded the smarty it had stayed at 35. and now both are trucks are showing the right speed verified by gps because of 1 smarty :thumbsup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
There ya go, learn something new everyday. I just figured since it had to be vin locked to change it it would go back when you take the program off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow...Thanks for all the feedback. Turns out I don't know anyone with a Smarty and don't have $600.00+ to buy one. I called the dealer and he said he could calibrate it for me for $85.00

I guess there isn't an easier way unless you have the friend with a Smarty.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You might want to check if your speedo was calibrated. Some dealers need to be :spank: so just double check bud :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
As a rule the dealer can only compensate for roughly 33' in a metric conversion.
Most tire stores do not have even that capability.
Sounds like you will need another product to compensate, either the suggestions as previously noted or another such as ours.
Note: Ours does log the VIN and will only program 1 vehicle at a time. It must be returned to stock on one to install on another.

Thanks,

GW

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had the dealership recalculate mine. They said they would try to get it as close as they could because they were set up pretty much for the stock tires. After they calibrated it for $85 i checked it with the GPS and it was dead nuts. So far this is the cheapest way if you don't have the programmer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts