Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so im potentially getting a manual Cummins soon. Its a 4x4 1994 dodge ram 2500 5.9 12v and the speedo doesn't work. So im just wondering is there a difference in location of the speed sensor on a manual compared to an auto? If so where is it? Cuz id like to order the part the same day I get the truck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know on my 4x4 there is a gear in the rear bearing housing on the transfer case.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I know on my 4x4 there is a gear in the rear bearing housing on the transfer case.
Alright so its by the rear output shaft? And do u by chance have a picture of it? Just so i can see which sensor it is. Cuz I know there's 2 types but i dont know If ones specifically for a certain drivetrain type or is like transmission specific. Just all in all confused as **** and need to see what my speed will be😂

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Alright so its by the rear output shaft? And do u by chance have a picture of it? Just so i can see which sensor it is. Cuz I know there's 2 types but i dont know If ones specifically for a certain drivetrain type or is like transmission specific. Just all in all confused as **** and need to see what my speed will be😂
Be sure the sensor is clocked correct. The sensor gear is off center.

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Have you downloaded the factory service manual? It has pictures. BTW, all 2nd gens from '94 to '97 use the same sender. 2 and 4WD.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hope this helps.

Helped kind of. So pretty much its the same one as an auto and doesnt have that weird gear thing on the end of it when u pull it out

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Helped kind of. So pretty much its the same one as an auto and doesnt have that weird gear thing on the end of it when u pull it out
I see you don't read all responses and didn't open the FSM. Not "pretty much", it is exactly the same as every 4X4 and 2WD automatic or manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
If yours doesn’t have the gear, then it fell off inside the tail housing. You might want to fish that out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They are all gear driven and have a ring to hold the sensor in the rear bearing housing. Don’t break the bolt. The guy who had one of 95s before me did so now I have to tear it down and get it out this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts