Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

This is a must for you to read--------
Then call, write or email your legislator,

March 26, 2009
BY DAVE MCKINNEY, JORDAN WILSON AND MARY WISNIEWSKI Staff Reporters
Lead-footed Chicago-area drivers, imagine this: You're driving along Lake Shore Drive above the posted speed limit. A camera snaps your picture without you knowing it. And the next thing you know, a $100 fine is waiting in your mailbox.

That could happen with passage of legislation now pending in the state Senate that would authorize cities within Cook County, the collar counties and two counties near St. Louis to erect speeding cameras, beginning next January.

Asked the purpose behind the legislation, its chief Senate architect, Sen. Terry Link (D-Vernon Hills), said: "Save lives. Period. If you want to save lives, this is the way we've got to do it."

Originally pushed last fall by since-ousted Gov. Rod Blagojevich, the proposal narrowly advanced out of a Senate committee earlier this month. It still must pass the full Senate and House and be signed by Gov. Quinn before taking effect.

Critics call it a money grab by cash-starved municipalities, but the proposal has some powerful backers. Secretary of State Jesse White, Mayor Daley's administration and an array of law-enforcement, municipal and safety groups favor the plan.

Sen. Kyle McCarter (R-Decatur), who voted against the measure when it was in a Senate committee this month, said money, not safety, seems to be the motivating factor behind the cameras. Cameras are "used as a cash register for certain areas and certain communities," he said. "I think all these automated systems are a little too Big Brother for people to back," McCarter said.

Under Link's legislation, speeders could be fined up to $100, which would not count toward the three moving violations drivers now are allowed each year before they risk sanctions against their driver's licenses. The cameras would not be permitted on state tollways. At least nine states make use of speeding cameras, including Iowa.

WAYNES WORLD

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Having lived the first 21 years of my life in Illinois and still having family there I take interest in this too........ I also wonder when they will start giving tickets to I-PASS users who get from one toll booth to the next in too short of a time span.

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having lived the first 21 years of my life in Illinois and still having family there I take interest in this too........ I also wonder when they will start giving tickets to I-PASS users who get from one toll booth to the next in too short of a time span.
SSSHHHH---- Don't give them idiots in the legislature any ideas.
They already have way to many desires on my wallet.

Take Care,
Enjoy your ride,
WAYNES WORLD

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
As an over the road Truck driver I agree this is only a grab for cash. I seldom speed. But as everyone knows we are not perfect. So for our imperfections now we get fined. This is a joke and a total invasion of our privacy. Who is to say my brother did not borrow my truck. Now I get fined. Total grab for cash.:banghead::whip::whip::whip:

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kooimanj,

You bring up an interesting point about someone else driving your vehicle & getting a ticket in the mail.
You as an CDL holder would suffer the consequences. Just like we do now when it comes to a supervision.
You can still call either Senator or Representative to voice your opposition.
Thanks,
WAYNES WORLD

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
This is BS, i read this when you sent me the Email, Chicago is a bunch of gold diggers. I already have this problem with the wife. lol
Nick

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is BS, i read this when you sent me the Email, Chicago is a bunch of gold diggers. I already have this problem with the wife. lol
Nick
Nick,

I'm sorry to hear about your first hand experience.
You can see why its time to rally the troops to call, write or email our elected officials before this gets to be a real threat.
Tell everybody you know to tell everybody they know-------

Thank You,
WAYNES WORLD

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
We already have this in the town where i live.....It sucks......April first is when it goes into effect. they said on the news that in the month of March they caught 3700 people speeding in just 4 intersections.......

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
i mean what are the rules? if your 1mph over do you still get a ticket?

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sofakingbad,

That is unbelievable :shock:
Wasn't there any outrage about it when they considered it?
Why haven't the people complained to their elected officials?

This is what I'm trying to tell people to get involved now rather than trying to get it done later after the fact.

WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Around here we say "If you're going to play, beprepared to pay".:buttkick::banghead:

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

You are right but where does it stop?
When you have a computer error & you have to pay for someone else's mistake, then what?

WAYNES WORLD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts