Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so last night I replace the VSS and my spedo and OD/trip are still not working and the ABS light is on. Wires look go going to the VSS.

So what should I check next?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
looking ok and being ok are two different things. Do you have a meter that you can actually check connectivity with? the best thing to do is to pin them out from terminal to terminal and verify that the harness isn't damaged. Even if the abs unit itself is damaged the speedo should still work, so my bet is that either you got a faulty sensor, or the harness leading to it is in fact corroded and no longer connecting. There is also a very rare instance when the tone ring in the differential gets damaged (usually from another component in the diff failing) How did the old sensor look when you took it out? Damaged, cracked, any metal shavings?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
Also with a meter you can check to see if the sensor has any resistance. It has a coil inside that should provide some resistance. If it reads open link your sensor is definitly bad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys,,, I will check both of those in the next few days(rain here) It was late and this was the last thing on my list of stuff to do yesterday to the truck(oil change, fuel filter change and clean and re oil the air filter, on top of mowing almost 2 ac. of lawn, and saleing off my powerstroke) so it was a busy day and I was tired and did not check the wires with a meter. I have one and will do that.

The old VSS came in in two parts,,, the part the covers the coil stayed in the differ when I pulled it out. So I had to get that out. No shaving on it but I have just gotten done with replacing both the inner and outer pinion bearings and I cleaned the diff out when I did that.
The tone ring did not look damaged when I had the carrier out.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
The gap between the sensor and the ring is very critical. There isn't an easy way that I know of to check the clearance, but improper alignment would cause what you are seeing. It may be worth a minute of your time to take the sensor out and just make sure the ring is perfectly lined up with the middle of the sensor. Good luck, post back with what you find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts