Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Specific Gearing Options ?'s on a 2010 CC

1974 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  95f150
Hi everyone, first post here - looking to make the switch from my PSD to a new 6.7 Crew Cab.

Here's some background:
I'll stick with the stock tires for the first 10-20k until they wear down at which point I'll move to a 35" tire. I do mostly city driving with a 5 mile highway stretch each day and the majority of the time around here our highways have a 55 speed limit. Occasionally will drive the freeways for longer trips. I have a bumper pull TH that weighs around 10k loaded. Will keep this for a couple of years and most likely upgrade to a larger 5th wheel. Hope to use it a couple of weekends per month in the nice weather.

Now for the questions: :confused013:
I'm trying to decide between 3.73s and 4.10s. With the 35" tires and 4.10s I believe that will put me back close to the 3.73 ratio I'd have with stock tires. I realize there will be a tradeoff with fuel economy but I want the best drivability I can get. Which gear set do you think would be best?

I've searched and read several opinions but I was hoping to get some ideas for my situation.

Thanks!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
640 Posts
I had 35's on my 05. I had 3.73s and I didn't have any problems with towing. I towed a 14000 pound goose without and problems with that setup. Its just up to you. 4.10s your gunna get worse fuel milage.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

Would the fact that the 4.10s bring the ratio back to stock with 35s help the mileage when I go to the bigger tires?

How does everyone else with larger tires feel?

Thanks again...

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Are you going to delete or are you going to leave the emissions intact? You are going to have regeneration all the time with that short low speed freeway hop. I am 8 to work with 5 slow freeway. Had to drive another 30 to 40 miles every other day to get the regens to complete. Then I "repaired" my emissions to make the truck run correctly. If you are going to stay stock get the 4:10 to keep engine speed up, drive in tow haul mode or even manually shift to keep rpms way up.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you going to delete or are you going to leave the emissions intact? You are going to have regeneration all the time with that short low speed freeway hop. I am 8 to work with 5 slow freeway. Had to drive another 30 to 40 miles every other day to get the regens to complete. Then I "repaired" my emissions to make the truck run correctly. If you are going to stay stock get the 4:10 to keep engine speed up, drive in tow haul mode or even manually shift to keep rpms way up.
I'm going to delete after the warranty is up, maybe before that if there are big issues. I'll be sure to drive it on longer routes as well. 30-40 extra miles every couple of days sounds pretty bad.

Well 1 vote for the 3.73s and 1 for the 4.10s. I'm leaning toward the 4.10s but still not 100% decided. Thanks for the info!

· Registered
607 Posts
I am happy with 4.10 and 35's on my truck...

· Registered
125 Posts
I'll take 4.10's any day of the week. I can still go 80. I like the lower gear with the larger tire. JMO.

· Premium Member
6,210 Posts
i will never buy a truck with 4:10's but thats just me. i have 3:73 an 285's on my truck an so far they are treating me just fine. the fuel mileage sucks as it is i wouldnt want it to get any worse with 4:10's just IMO though

· Premium Member
575 Posts
i had an 04 with 3.73's and 35's with an auto. that was a garbage combo when pulling heavy unless you wanted to drive 60-65 tops out of overdrive. In overdrive, you would have to drive 75-80 to keep it in the good rpm range and IMO that is kinda fast with a big load. I since have purchased a new truck with 4.10's and have 34" tires on it. The combo is good IMO.

· Premium Member
822 Posts
Here is a good gear calculator so you can figure out which gearing will be best for you Gear Ratio Calculator

Are you getting an auto or a manual tranny?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, great calculator link. Going for the auto. Found a deal on one with 3.73s and although I'd prefer 4.10s, I might run the stock tires down with the 3.73s and upgrade later...

· Registered
817 Posts
4.10's!!!!!

I had to get my dealer to look elsewhere in alberta for my truck because of the 4.10's. Mind ya i got 37's, but even stock size tires my vote is 4.10's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.