Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 16 g56 mega cab 2500..just did a full delete, intake, 5inch, and tune...obviously I need a clutch now bc mine is slipping...I dont tow and it's my daily...what's your opinion? I was going to go with south bend GK street dual disk..half organic half ceramic..any input?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I love the valiar DD organic. Had it in both trucks. Never skips a beat.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I got their hydraulic kit. Honestly I cant tell any difference from stock. Very light pressure IMO.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’m very happy with my SB dual 3250, I’m deleted running max tune and it has never let me down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got the Valair organic DD. I love it, no issues and it's seen some abuse. Pedal effort is slightly heavier than stock, but I thought stock was a bit too light. It's still lighter effort than my G56 Hemi and my wife's car with a factory Corvette Z06 clutch.

I also had a Valair single in my 12V and loved that. It's because of that I went straight back to Valair for this clutch. I've only driven one SB DD in a G56 and that was 8 years ago but it was a much less civilized clutch than my Valair.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So far the new sssb 3600 is holding 800 hp don't know if the clutch is gonna go or g56 first lol. Nv5600 in my future!

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,201 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 16 g56 mega cab 2500..just did a full delete, intake, 5inch, and tune...obviously I need a clutch now bc mine is slipping...I dont tow and it's my daily...what's your opinion? I was going to go with south bend GK street dual disk..half organic half ceramic..any input?
I've had both and I prefer South Bend.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I just put the organic/ceramic south bend dual disc in my 16 mega a few thousand ago, I went with it for the extra holding power over an organic dual disc since I’ll be putting compounds on. If Valair offered the same dual disc orientation I would’ve gone with it since Valair is what I’ve always ran. If I had to do it again I would’ve gone with the same clutch I’m happy with it

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I just put the organic/ceramic south bend dual disc in my 16 mega a few thousand ago, I went with it for the extra holding power over an organic dual disc since I’ll be putting compounds on. If Valair offered the same dual disc orientation I would’ve gone with it since Valair is what I’ve always ran. If I had to do it again I would’ve gone with the same clutch I’m happy with it
I've talked to Dan regarding the advertised 500hp rating and he said it will.hold much more than that provided it doesnt get overheated ie boosted launches and such. He said they've had 800hp trucks running that clutch with no issues of slipping

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
OP I've had the SDD3250 in my old 03, hated it from day one and regretted purchasing that clutch. Shifting was a bear from a dead stop, hotter the clutch got in traffic driving worse and notchier it got. I'll never run a SB again, when the one I bought my truck with comes out a Valair DD organic is going in.
Dan runs his clutches in world championship sled pulling and is the class sponsor, that to me says alot. AND then fact that the warranty is not effected by you installing it yourself is an added bonus.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've talked to Dan regarding the advertised 500hp rating and he said it will.hold much more than that provided it doesnt get overheated ie boosted launches and such. He said they've had 800hp trucks running that clutch with no issues of slipping
Sounds great until you have a warranty issue. Me personally no way I’m buying a clutch that’s underrated for my needs.

If you had issues with your southbend it was likely installed wrong. I put mine in and took my time doing it right and it shifts and performs well. You can’t go wrong with either company they both make good products that are pretty much identical having installed both.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Warranty with Valair is very very forgiving, if the clutch wasnt abused they will warranty it

·
Registered
10,654 Posts
I don't have a preference, as I use real transmissions that only have to spool the turbo/s once.

But I'm curious why you gents prefer one brand over the other, care to list the pros & cons of each?
What would a real transmission be?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Real trucks dont shift themselves lol

Reactions: nuljas23

·
Registered
183 Posts
I started off with the valair dd organic. Great clutch and it did well towing and normal driving (dynoed at 600) until i moved up in turbos and added some fuel (around 700hp). Started slipping which i expected so moved onto a southbend organic/ceramic which hasnt let me down so far.

Just depends on what your hp levels are and how you drive it. Both are great clutches.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Same clutch I put in mine and love it. Little noisy but doesn’t bother me a bit. That’s the name of the game. Had it for 10k miles and still love it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts