Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am lookin at buying a 3600 or 3850 12cb and i was wonderin if i HAVE to upgrade my input shaft....i read on south bends website that dodge 5 speeds must have shaft upgrade....any input?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
i was almost positive that the hydro upgrade was mandatory but the input shaft was your choice, personally i wouldnt skimp out on the input shaft, get it done and over with and have a virtually bulletproof tranny!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would a 3600 with upgraded input shaft and hydros be pretty bullet proof?...iam not lookin for anything too insane but maybe 100hp injectors and a turbo? after my current set-up.....i know these clutch threads are always on the forums here, iam just about to drop some serious :$: and want to make sure i dont regret this one

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
i wouldnt swap out to a dual disc without upgrading input shafts on them. it is just the added security and piece of mind knowing that its not gonna break if you do decide to play alittle too hard one night.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
I can comment on this one. I got my 3250 DD about a year ago & got it with the 1 1/4" input shaft. I had my tranny rebuilt about 6 months later & the input was worn were it goes into the pilot bearing. I bought a new 1 1/4" & got it back on the road. I blew out 3rd gear about 3 months ago & the input still looked like new. I had shifting issues for the last month & felt like the clutch was binding. I took my truck to Advanced Diesel Technology & he found that the input shaft was twisted & not letting the clutch fully disengage. I called Peter at Southbend today & ordered the input shaft kit. He is sending me new discs also to accept the bigger shaft. Lesson learned the hard way, just do it now & be done with it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah.....end of story, the shaft is goin in for sure, now i just cant decide on a 3600 or 3850? i dont daily drive the truck, its more of a really expensive hobby to be honest....any ideas

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
yeah.....end of story, the shaft is goin in for sure, now i just cant decide on a 3600 or 3850? i dont daily drive the truck, its more of a really expensive hobby to be honest....any ideas
I have the 3250 & have pulled 5 times since it was installed along with alot of heavy towing. The plates were impressive when pulled out this week. Doug at ADT said that he is impressed how they aren't blued or anything. I am staying with the 3250, smooth as silk & holding up great. My brother has the 3600 & you sure don't want to be caught in a long traffic jamb with that one, very jumpy pulling out & backing up trailers. If not a DD, I would go with a 3850 to get the added holding power.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much more stiff is the 3600, then the 3850?....would it be a pain in the @$$ to drive?....or is it still driveable, i only plan on makin between 550-650 horse

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
how much more stiff is the 3600, then the 3850?....would it be a pain in the @$$ to drive?....or is it still driveable, i only plan on makin between 550-650 horse
The 3250 feels a little stiffer then stock. The 3600 isn't too much harder, but tough in traffic after about 10 minutes of stop & go. The 3850 is a clutch for the real men, I don't think they should be a street clutch. Atleast not in my truck. Don't get me wrong, they aren't gonna take everything you have to press the clutch. Just not a comfortable driver like my 3250.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i appreciate your help 724....i think the 3600 is probably the best for clutch for my set-up, i do a lot of pullin and i think the 3600 will be plenty of clutch for my setup with a set of injectors and a htt turbo.....what kind of numbers are u puttin down?

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
i appreciate your help 724....i think the 3600 is probably the best for clutch for my set-up, i do a lot of pullin and i think the 3600 will be plenty of clutch for my setup with a set of injectors and a htt turbo.....what kind of numbers are u puttin down?
Good choice. I haven't been on a dyno in 2 years, back then I had a Edge comp, same injectors, holley blue, HTB2 62/65/12 @ 45psi & got 476hp/936lbft. I should be over 500hp now after adding Airdog, AFE Stage 2, Adrenaline, SS 62/71/14 @ 52psi boost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts