Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i bought a south bend street dual disk a while back and put it in last night. So far I like it alot. But the only problem I have is that it smells hot like it's slipping but it's not. So to put an exact scenario down, once the clutch was installed we took it out for a rip. I know this probably is against the break in cycle but I got excited. Drove probably 20 minutes or so no slipping at all and I didn't notice any smells of a hot clutch. After the 20 minutes or so I did a 3rd gear boost launch at about 20 psi and it held great. When we got back to the shop the clutch smelled as if it had been slipping which is understandable given that I had forced it to slip just before that. A few hours later I drove it home being easy on it and it still smells hot. I just don't really see how it would still be hot from 2 hours prior. Other than that I'm very satisfied!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm pretty sure SB recommends a 500mile easy driving break in period before beating on it. Possibility you glazed the clutch?

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
By 500 miles that means stop and go driving. Simply getting in the highway and doing 500 miles won't do jack for breaking in the clutch. I can't see your setup but I'm sure you don't have a crazy amount of hp, so you probably didn't do it much harm. You did clean and install correctly? Also heating that clutch up and simply parking it for 2 hours won't let it cool off. That's a lot of steel getting very hot and all that steel takes a long time to cool. Especially in an enclosed environment like the bell housing. I've drove my truck to a buddies place gently, pulled it in the shop, took our time and got the tranny on the ground on an hour and half and the clutch and flywheel are still uncomfortable to hold for any amount of time. Now imagine the heat you generated during that 3rd gear launch.

At any rate that clutch will stink with its "organic like" facing on one side. Just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I sure hope that Peter sees this post before you try to warranty that clutch...The street dual disc is not rated for boosted launches and you didn't do a proper break-in...
This.

SMH

Reactions: farmtwin
1 - 8 of 8 Posts