Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a choice. I can either get 10" Kicker subs rated at 150rms 300max. Or i can get 4 Infiniti 6 1/2- 3/4 speakers rated at 50rms and 150max. either way im getting an amp and a new deck. but i know the subs will add some kick bass but what would the Infiniti's do? would they add some good bass too or just louder mainly? or will the stock door speakers just be drowned out when i turn up the subs? Its gonna cost me over 500 easliy either way so i wana do it rite. I want to have good bass but i want it loud too because i like rock and wanna hear the guitar. What do you suggest???

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well from experience, it will be very hard to put subs and amps without some serious modification in a non-mega cab. I would advise some Infinities up front and Rockfords in the back where the stronger base that they have will help, and throw a amp in for them to help get rid of distortion. Let me know what you are wanting to do and I can give you some advice(recently went through this on my truck).

Shoot me a PM,
Zach

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, its always tough to make that decision because there's so many choices and as you stated...you want loud and you want bass. IMO, big bass with crappy highs just sounds getto. And big highs trying to be big bass, again sounds getto. Go to walmart and sit in the parking lot for a while, you'll see what i mean. :rof

So, I would suggest starting with a high quality head unit that you really like and has all the options you want (such as bluetooth, usb input, satellite radio, whatever that may be). Then find the right amp and 2 sets of speakers for both front and back. That way, when your replacing your stock head unit, you can tie in the rca's to both the high's amp and the bass amp and put the bass amp rca's away until you're ready to expand. Then once you built up the cash again, get your amp and bass box or however you're going to set that part up and you can add onto existing good sound.

You always want to start off with high quality basics...head unit, speakers and a high quality speaker wire (yes, get rid of that stock flaky, existing speaker wire.)

Once you have the better equipment and wire, then you can start into amps and subs and all that extra filler that will give you more punch for you watt.

That's my 2 cents.

Wish i had video of my $400 car with $1200 worth of equipment. It was called the "jukebox on wheels" back in the day. Biggest thing about it is that it looked like a $400 car just sitting there. Nobody even knew i had all that til i drove down the street. :thumbsup

I had a Pioneer supertuner 4 with cd connected to a 240 watt rockford fosgate amp connected to two sony 5.5's in the front quarter and 2 4-way pioneer 6x9's in the rear deck with 2 8" alpine subs wired in opposite polarity (so that nothing battled with each other during the bass hits since they shared trunk air space). It was sick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where to begin, I have a 04 Quad cab, I spent a lot of time trying to find equipment that would work in this truck. I seem to have a common problem with wanting a lot of bass and clean crisp mids and highs.
Unfortunately for me Dodge did not design this truck around what I wanted.
What I did find in all my reading on the internet and forums ended up sounding really nice, and I have had a lot of compliments on the sound quality.
As per the previous post you want to start with quality equipment, Select a good head unit, at the very least make sure it has subwoofer controls.
I found a guy that makes a box for the dodge quad cab that holds 2 12’s DUAL 12 SEALED RAM QAUD CAB 2002-2007 . He also makes boxes that hold 2 10’s and also a single 10.
I elected to use the two 12’s because I prefer the lower frequency response of 12’s.
I put in two 4 ohm Kicker Comp VR dual voice coil subs, and a 1500 watt class D amp.
For front door I used MB Quart Reference 6” component’s and for the rears the same but in a 2 way speaker, these are powered by a 600 watt 4 channel amp.
Both amps are connected to a 6 farad cap, the amps and the cap are mounted to the back wall behind the seat.
Another link if for you is millionbuy.com-The Best Online Electronics**Same Day Shipping**. I purchased my wire and amp kits from here, they were inexpensive and they also have lots of other stuff.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ok i have a choice. I can either get 10" Kicker subs rated at 150rms 300max. Or i can get 4 Infiniti 6 1/2- 3/4 speakers rated at 50rms and 150max. either way im getting an amp and a new deck. but i know the subs will add some kick bass but what would the Infiniti's do? would they add some good bass too or just louder mainly? or will the stock door speakers just be drowned out when i turn up the subs? Its gonna cost me over 500 easliy either way so i wana do it rite. I want to have good bass but i want it loud too because i like rock and wanna hear the guitar. What do you suggest???
Kickers are great, ive had nothing but the best of luck with them, and the factory speakers suck in mine. Im having mine replaced this Friday, along with a new Pioneer headunit. Are you putting the subs under the backseat? I saw something on ebay about a box that is made to fit perfect under it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It's not that hard on these trucks to have some nice sound!! I do it all the time and when I got my 05 recently, thats one of the first things I done....along with my remote start!! But I did my deck unit and door speakers and then upgraded for bass. As some other said...go ahead and replace the speaker wire...well, rather...run new leads. You don't have to pull all the factory crap out...that will drive you nuts, just run new leads and keep em marked. The new head unit was so simple. Get the wiring adapters for the truck... I SO love plug N play adapters!! GREAT!! Worth the extra $30 or so. The dodges are crazy, because you have to have a antenna adapter, power and speakers adapters...but SO worth every penny!!

I personally run PowerBass amps and subs and love em. My head unit is always a Pioneer. Not to mention, I sell it all!! :thumbsup I've got everything from head units, alarm/remote start, speakers, boxes, subs, amps, the list goes on!! But I am a dealer for Pioneer, Clarion, Powerbass, AutoPage, Prestige, Audiovox, Probox and many many others!!

If anyone would like prices on anything, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
IMO if you start with the premimum sound package like infinity thena just go with a lil bass and a quality head unit it drasticly helps if you have the time money and passion to go for it... start with dynamatt or something and like rthrbe said wiring hide every thing so it looks nice and it will rock.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
I definitely agree with the Dyna Mat. I think that it is very important to have crisp sound, and you need to sound deaden the rattle, or you will never really achieve it. As far as what to go with first, I would suggest a good head unit, and quality mids and highs, with an amp to push. Go with Component speakers in the front doors, and 2 ways in the back. Later on, when you have saved up the money, go with a quality box, and subs built for the air space provided. Good luck to you with the system install.:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Subs first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts